We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ticket machine

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bude, United Kingdom
2 posts
Save Topic
ticket machine

hi,i have purchased a ticket to be picked up at gatwick train station from the machine can anyone tell me were to locate it as my son only has half hour to locate it ,he is coming from arrival airport after pickin up his bags x

Edited: 12 September 2013, 22:45
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,761 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ticket machine

See map of the station at

nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_GTW/plan.html

Ticket machines are either side of WHSmith and the ticket counter is under the very big blue/white sign saying Tickets.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ticket machine

< hi,i have purchased a ticket to be picked up at gatwick train station from the machine can anyone tell me were to locate it as my son only has half hour to locate it , >

Might be a problem as you are required to have both the card used to make the booking as well as the booking reference.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ticket machine

I am just trying to remember the last time I picked up tickets from a train station - I think it was about 3 years ago and I picked up tickets at London Euston. From memory I wasn't asked to produce my card, I just punched in the booking reference number. I remember having the card ready to insert, and expressing surprise when I wasn't asked for it. Not sure if this is a one-off as I don't tend to use trains much.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ticket machine

You are always required to enter the card first before putting in the number.

If he doesn't have the card, i suggest sending him a scan of front and back and him going to the ticket counter.

I am as sure as I can be that you cannot get the ticket out of the machine without having the card, though I've never tried so I could be wrong, but i did pick one up last week and the first prompt after selecting "collect tickets" was "put the card you used to purchase into the reader".

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ticket machine

<<You are always required to enter the card first before putting in the number>>

I'm sure this is correct and it's usually the standard procedure for tickets for anything booked online that the card has to be presented.

I collected train tickets from the machine at Didcot station a couple of weeks ago and certainly had to insert the credit card in the machine before I inputted the reference number.

OP, as Alanrow has said, unless your son has the credit card the tickets were purchased with in his possession, he could have a problem. He should make sure that he has sufficient money or another credit card with him to purchase another ticket if necessary.

Bude, United Kingdom
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ticket machine

hi,thankyou to all of you who replied that was real kind ,i phoned the train line who i purchased the ticket from and they have unblocked it so he can put any card in , well so they say ,fingers crossed my problem also was were was the ticket machine inside gatwick airport cos he has to go find it and he only has 30 mins but he has never been inside gatwick and he is coming from airport side thankyou for any help i will look at the map as someone suggested thankyou x

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ticket machine

If they have unblocked it it should work fine. I used to pick up tickets which were purchased by our head office and just had to put my card in sometimes didn't need it, the booking reference was enough.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,966 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ticket machine

Next time don't use thetrainline.....unless you enjoy throwing money away.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ticket machine

All he needs to do is follow the sign to the trains. There is a whole wall of machines for purchasing and collecting tickets. You would need to work hard to not see them.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ticket machine

and he only has 30 mins

-----

Do you mean between landing and train departure ? Probably not going to make it anyway unless he's flying internally.