We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time should we leave for airport?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
What time should we leave for airport?

I'm planning on using Totally Driven to get to/from Heathrow for my trip to London in November (if anyone has any super negative experiences with them, please share!) and I'm totally stumped on what time to book the car for going to the airport when we depart to head back to the States. We're flying out of Heathrow at 9:55am on a Sunday, so going off the 3hr rule, we'd have to be there at 6:55am. We're staying in NW3 (Palmer's Lodge - Swiss Cottage). How much time should I give us to get from the hostel to Heathrow? An hour? 30 min?

Thanks in advance!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time should we leave for airport?

Sunday morning roads will be clear, I would give yourselves 1 hr by car although it will probably be under that.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time should we leave for airport?

I would say that it will probably take about 30 mins seeing as there will be very little traffic that early in the morning, but would err on the side of caution and say that it could take 40 mins.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What time should we leave for airport?

Perfect! Thanks!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What time should we leave for airport?

I would allow a good hour. And don't forget that many people catch early morning flights. I've done it myself and been met with slow moving traffic on the Heathrow spur road.

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
563 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time should we leave for airport?

Perhaps take into account the likely bad weather in November, it might rain heavily on the day ... so add a few extra minutes. If your're leaving from Terminal 5, also add extra time to your journey as this terminal is just a little bit further than 1,3 and 4. I would recommend at least 45 minutes for this trip.

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What time should we leave for airport?

Good question - and with your 'forgiveness' I will hijack this thread and ask...

We are departing London Heathrow on a Wednesday out of Terminal 1. Our flight back to Chicago will depart LHR at 10:05 am. We always like to get to the airport way ahead of time - to simply wander, we go to the United Club, etc. etc. So That all being said, how long (good estimate) will it take to get from the Marriott Grosvenor Hotel via a car service to Terminal 1 around 6:00 am or so?

Thanks!

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What time should we leave for airport?

The Marriott to T3 should take about 35 mins, so leaving at 06:00 would still leave loads of time to wander, lounge etc.

Don't forget, your check-in may well not open till 07:05 anyway. It's done to keep congestion in Heathrow to a minimum.

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What time should we leave for airport?

Re: counter checkin opening...that's right. I will check to see what time it opens....thanks.We normally do check with the airline and with the agents who meet the flight as a double check.

Thanks!

naperville, illinois
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What time should we leave for airport?

Re: counter checkin opening...that's right. I will check to see what time it opens....thanks.We normally do check with the airline and with the agents who meet the flight as a double check.

Thanks!

10. Re: What time should we leave for airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 05:17