We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Complete London novice, need advice please!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Middlesbrough...
3 posts
Save Topic
Complete London novice, need advice please!

We are going to the Isle Of Wight during the half term holidays and on the way down we thought we could have a one night stay in London before going to Legoland and then onto our holiday.

We will be arriving in London roughly by 5 o'clock (going to legoland the following day) and quite like the idea of taking our three boys (3,5,8) around London that evening maybe on the London eye?

So here are my questions:

Where is a good place to stay (reasonably priced)?

What is there to do in the evening with children?

Many thanks in advance

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Complete London novice, need advice please!

You won't get to see much in such a short time, I suggest you take the children to Chinatown and have a bite to eat my kids love it, then maybe on the Leicester Square to watch the buskers and grab an ice cream from Ben and Gerrys. I suppose you could take a river ride I think it might be a bit dark to see much, flights on the London eye need booking in advance

There really isn't much to do with kids in central London, I'd stay at the Premier travell inn I think there is one just off Totenham court road, but do book early

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,821 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Complete London novice, need advice please!

Are you doing all this by train, or planning on taking a car into London/Windsor/IOW?

Middlesbrough...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Complete London novice, need advice please!

We are driving down, so will also need parking. Your idea sounds lovely lee w and would be right up my boys street :) Thank you for replies

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Complete London novice, need advice please!

<< Flights on the London Eye need booking in advance >>

Compeletely inaccurate, they do not. In any event I would advise against booking in advance because of the vagaries of the weather. Just turn up on the day if the weather is favourable. Queues move quickly.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Complete London novice, need advice please!

It will also be dark by the time you went on the Eye so doubt the kids would get much out of it especially the younger two.

Check your routes into and out of london so you either steer clear of congestion charge area or you are aware of it and pay to avoid fines.

I doubt you will get parking at a premier inn in central London, be prepared for a bill about half the hotel cost, have a sat nav for getting around.

Edited: 15 September 2013, 18:06
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,017 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Complete London novice, need advice please!

>>It will also be dark by the time you went on the Eye so doubt the kids would get much out of it especially the younger two.<<

But everything will be lit up.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,526 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Complete London novice, need advice please!

How set on this idea are you? Driving into central London will be fairly stressful, take a long time and involve a lot of additional expense (parking + possible congestion charge).

By the time you do get there, you might be quite tired as might the kids (are you driving all the way from Middlesbrough that day?) and it's quite likely you won't do much more than a stroll in the dark and finding somewhere to eat).

Probably be easier, not to mention cheaper to just stay around Windsor, or break your journey somewhere near the motorway on the way.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Complete London novice, need advice please!

>>It will also be dark by the time you went on the Eye so doubt the kids would get much out of it especially the younger two.<<

But everything will be lit up.

---------

And all look the same. I think an adult might be interested in picking out Big Ben or St. Paul's but to the kids its just some lights. After 5 minutes they will be saying "can we go now"

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Complete London novice, need advice please!

Ps corncob has a great point, is it worth the not inconsiderable cost and hassle of going into London for a Chinese, which is what it seems to have come down to?

It's too early for the Xmas illuminations unfortunately. I agree, get to Windsor and skip London, unless you can go a day early and get a whole day there.

Middlesbrough...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Complete London novice, need advice please!

It would seem London is too ambitious for an evening, we will probably just stick to Windsor.

Thank you all for your great advice