We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car service from Heathrow to Fitzrovia

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Car service from Heathrow to Fitzrovia

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids arriving at Heathrow at 3.30pm on a Friday. We need to get to our rental apartment in Fitzrovia. Having scanned google etc for the last week Im confused. I understand that taking the tube is probably the most cost effective way of travelling to Giide St station, many comment that the tube will be packed that time of day and difficult with luggage. I emailed Green Tomato Cars for a quote, but then read that they are no good. Taxis seem to be very expensive?? Any help would be great! thanks, Karen

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,512 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car service from Heathrow to Fitzrovia

Tube won't be packed as it starts at heathrow. You're going in the opposite direction as well to most commutors. If it were me I'd get the tube from heathrow to green park (step free) and then get a taxi the short distance to your rental apartment. It's a straight shot from heathrow.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,370 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car service from Heathrow to Fitzrovia

If you don't want to take a taxi from Green Park, you may make a step free change at that station and alight at Warren Street, handy for Fitzrovia (depending on your destination there; let us know a street or road name). At Green Park, take the escalator up to the ticket hall from the Piccadilly line platforms, then turn around and take another escalator down to the Victoria line platforms for a train towards Walthamstow Central. Sounds complicated but is not, and is easy to do with bags in tow.

Alight at Warren Street which has step free access from Victoria line platforms to street level. Goodge Street station has stairs plus lift; the change from Piccadilly line to Northern line at Leicester Square involves a great many stairs and the strong possiblity of a very crowded station.

Using Warren Street or Green Park would be far more preferable than Goodge Street. Let us know your destination in Fitzrovia, please.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car service from Heathrow to Fitzrovia

Hi there. We are staying on Rathbone Street. From what I can tell it looks closest to Goodge Street Tube. Cheers, K

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,370 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car service from Heathrow to Fitzrovia

Rathbone Street is nearer Goodge Street station, but it's about a six to eight minute walk from Warren Street. If that sounds a bit too much, a taxi from Green Park station shouldn't cost more than £10 for the short journey. Take the escalators up to the ticket hall at Green Park; after passing through the barrier look to the right for the lift up to street level. You'll be deposited on the south side of Piccadilly, where unless rain is belting down you shouldn't have to wait more than a minute for a taxi.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car service from Heathrow to Fitzrovia

personally I would never take the Tube into London from Heathrow with two children and luggage after a flight from Australia (assuming that's the start of journey).

In the early years of trips to London we did indeed take the Tube from LHR to Russell Square on the Piccadilly Line.

For two adults with one suitcase each it was okay. Crowded,

Then we discovered car service.

Fabulous.

We've used Simply Airports many times, have never had a bad experience. Some people have complained about lack of communication though. However I would recommend the company based on my experience. They seem to respond best via telephone.

There's a long thread on TALF discussing the various companies and experiences travellers have had.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k48869…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,550 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car service from Heathrow to Fitzrovia

I too would use a car service after a long flight with children in tow. These are recommended by posters on the forum:

www.london-transfers.com

www.skyexpresscars.net

www.handicars.co.uk

www.justairports.com

www.exclusiveairports.com

www.swisscottagecars.com

www.expressways.co.uk

Just, Exclusive and Simply most recently. I'd expect the charge to be in the region of £40-50 for a party of your size as you will need an estate or MPV.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car service from Heathrow to Fitzrovia

Yes, many many car companies operate from Heathrow, however the tube is by and far the most cost effective way. GreenTomatoCars are actually very good. They're also the official car service of Heathrow. They are however, often fairly pricey.

Have a few more companies to try other than the list above:

www.airportbee.co.uk

www.blackberrycars.com

www.gettaxi.co.uk

www.minicabster.co.uk

www.blackberrycars.com

www.blueberryairports.com

www.247airporttransfers.co.uk

etc etc

GetTaxi is the only licensed Taxi service there. All the others are private hire car services. Shouldn't really make much difference, but worth thinking about. A Taxi will know the streets and the ways around traffic etc far better than a private hire driver.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 18:23
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car service from Heathrow to Fitzrovia

thanks to everyone for their great information - much appreciated. Contacted 5 as per recommendations, and ended up going with UK Transfers as they offered a great discount for round trip booking. Will let you know how they work out :-)

thanks again everyone!

Karen

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,205 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car service from Heathrow to Fitzrovia

Karen, absolutely, think self-preservation after a long flight, kids, and luggage. We used Just Airports but I am certain that your pick is just as good.

10. Re: Car service from Heathrow to Fitzrovia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 12:48