We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mamma Mia

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
93 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Mamma Mia

Hi,

We'll be in London mid Dec and plan to go for this musical at the Novello Theatre. Need your recommendation of reliable sites to buy tickets for stall seats, please. Visited a couple of sites such as Delfront Mackintosh and Seetickets - Delfront Mackintosh seems to offer better seats - are these sites reliable?

As we plan to catch the musical on a Thu - need your views whether the matinee is as good as the evening show? It'll be our first musical and we hope to make it a memorable one.

Many thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mamma Mia

Delfont macintosh are the main theatre company in England

the matinee is as bad as the evening performance which is what I think you meant.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mamma Mia

Delfont macintosh are the main theatre company in England

the matinee is as bad as the evening performance which is what I think you meant.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mamma Mia

We regularly visit London's theatres and regularly do the matinees. The performance is no different. We enjoyed Mama Mia.

The choice you need to make is whether there is something else you would rather be doing in daylight hours or whether having time for a long leisurely meal in a restaurant in the evening after the show is important.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
93 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mamma Mia

Thanks for your feedback. Since there is no difference, I'll need to re-look at my plans before deciding on which to book. Will do booking directly through Delfont Mackintosh - they're prompt in handling email queries.

Glad you enjoyed Mamma Mia, Itsmeagain2. I'm sure we'll too!

Cheers.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mamma Mia

I agree that matinee performances are just as good as evening ones.

Your choice of a first musical experience is debatable because there are far better ones in the West End in my opinion. I know quite a few people who have seen this show and were disappointed so I have left it alone. The film was bad enough other than the music!

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
93 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mamma Mia

I beg to differ - it so happens I love the Mamma Mia movie and have been a fan of ABBA since young. I'd think it'll be a great light-hearted intro to West End musicals. Guess it's a case of 'each to his/her own' :-))

The other on my to-see list will be the Phantom of the Opera. Thanks for the vote on matinee performances.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mamma Mia

My sister and I went to an evening peformance of Mamma Mia a couple of years ago and abso-bloody-lutely loved it. We also loved the movie. We've seen Phantom in London too and it was good, but, to be honest, it was much, much better in Sydney (one point - here the chandelier *really* seemed to be crashing, swung low and was very dramatic - people in the audience ducked lol - but in London it just sort of smoothly glides and isn't dramatic at all).

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
93 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mamma Mia

I am sure we're going to absolutely love this West End musical too. Looking forward to it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mamma Mia

We had seats 1 row from the front, right in the middle and it was exhilirating :-) Everyone loved the music and it was really well done. Admittedly it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but it'd be a boring world if everyone liked the same things :-)

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mamma Mia

Personally I think if your seeing a "feel good" show such as Mama Mia then the atmosphere does seem to better at the evening performances. Of course that could be due to Pre theatre tipples!!!