We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oystercard - How much would a trip cost?

Level Contributor
251 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Oystercard - How much would a trip cost?

I understand the Oystercard is PAYG. If I travel from Heathrow to Russell Square by tube, how much would this cost approx.?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oystercard - How much would a trip cost?

Oyster is a delivery medium, not a travel product. You can have PAYG on Oyster, a bus pass on Oyster, a Travelcard on Oyster, etc., and often combinations.

A single fare using PAYG on Oyster is £5.00 Monday to Friday from 630 to 0930 and £3.00 at all other times including public holidays.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oystercard - How much would a trip cost?

Transport for London has a fare guide http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx and a single fare finder here tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…default.aspx

Level Contributor
251 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oystercard - How much would a trip cost?

jdbri - thanks for the info. I'll certainly use it to and from Heathrow, and maybe over the weekend too, depending on how brave I am! At least now I have an idea of how much to load on to the card.

jonben - great links. Great detailed info for which tube, times, etc.

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oystercard - How much would a trip cost?

When I quoted the 'single fare' I meant specifically for that journey (zone 6 to 1). Most journeys cross fewer zones and are cheaper. You have the link to have a look at. There is also the daily price cap, also on the links.

Be brave and travel. Transport in London can seem scary with all its zones and Oysters and Travelcards and stuff but it's surprisingly easy to actually use.

Level Contributor
251 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oystercard - How much would a trip cost?

Jdbri, I thought I'd just have to work out the line, eg, Picadilly line - crossing zones is another complication, but I guess that's for working out the fare. At the moment I'm trying to choose a hotel, but I'm basing it on the tube stops!

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oystercard - How much would a trip cost?

As jdbri says, don't worry too much about the exact

mechanics. Provided you don't start before 0930 Mon-Fri, or go beyond Zone 6, and very few tourists do, you will pay a maximum of £8.50 a day, including journeys to and from Heathrow Airport, no matter how many buses or tube trains you use.

And don't forget you can reclaim your £5 deposit and any outstanding credit at the ticket office at the airport when you leave.

Level Contributor
251 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oystercard - How much would a trip cost?

Thanks Loughtonian, I have no idea where Zone6 is, but I'll be happy to work around Russell Square, Oxford Street, walk around the rest of the sights. It's only a weekend, so I'm sure there's plenty to see in the vicinity of Russell Square.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oystercard - How much would a trip cost?

Here is a tube map with zones: tfl.gov.uk/assets/…standard-tube-map.pdf

Most tourist sites are within zones 1-2. Heathrow is in zone 6.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oystercard - How much would a trip cost?

To answer the question, the peak / off peak PAYG on Oyster fare from LHR to Russell Square (and other one zone stations) is £5 / £3.

PAYG use caps at a rate slightly lower than the cost of an equivalent one day Travelcard: a one day off peak card for zones 1 and 2 costs £7.30 but the off peak daily cap is £7 (thanks, Boris). As long as one touches in and out as one should, the system will 'follow' your journeys and charge the lowest fare overall for those taken in a day.

PAYG on Oyster can be use on all modes of transport so you will not be limited to the Underground but may also travel on buses, the Overground, DLR and more.

Some hotels near Russell Square are not as near as claimed; which properties are you considering, Westpassage?

London
Level Contributor
10,186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oystercard - How much would a trip cost?

"PAYG on Oyster can be use on all modes of transport "

To be a little pedantic, and for the benefit of visitors not familiar with London. Oyster can be used on all tubes, buses, trams, DLR and trains within London, except journeys to Heathrow by Express or Connect trains and not between St Pancras and Stratford on HS1 trains. I mention this because these restricts do catch some visitors out.