We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish and chips (not asking for restaurant recommendations)

El Segundo...
Level Contributor
51 posts
243 reviews
Save Topic
Fish and chips (not asking for restaurant recommendations)

Cod, Haddock, plaice, skate, hake or rock. Here in the states - there are no choices...you just get a white fish bettered and you pray they don't ruin it! When given a choice...and I do have a bit of a sense of adventure with food - which one should I pick? I have had cod and haddock in my life and not sure if you asked to to tell the difference - I could. Thank you in advance!

El Segundo...
Level Contributor
51 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Fish and chips (not asking for restaurant recommendations)

ThanIk you all! I love this, I go to bed and voila! answers abound in the morning. I am not a ketchup fan...malt vinegar for me, thank you! *Heinz thread is out of control* I only splurge on F&C when I know it is cooked on the spot and "the lines" are the dead giveaway. I also love those vinegary onions - just wish they came with a martini! lol

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Fish and chips (not asking for restaurant recommendations)

I had f&c at Rick Stein's chippy in Padstow a few years back and opted for Monkfish. It was beautiful - as were the chips - everything there's cooked in dripping (bliss). Last year when we were there I had another variety of fish (but can't recall which) and just had it grilled and it was equally delish. I was trying to be healthy that day, but the dozen fried oysters & scallops I had before the fish & chips blew that plan out of the water LOL

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,854 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Fish and chips (not asking for restaurant recommendations)

Last year, my daughter ordered cod, and I ordered plaice. I found that I preferred the cod, and she preferred the plaice, so this year it was cod for me! To me, the plaice had a slightly stronger fish flavor, and I prefer the milder flavor of cod.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,824 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Fish and chips (not asking for restaurant recommendations)

My fave is cod loin, a nice thick cut from the best part of the fish and a wee bit more expensive than the usual chippy cut.

I'll eat haddock if cod is not available. As I'm in Scotland where haddock rules, its rarely available but not impossible to hunt down if you know where to look. The batter is very important too. Gotta be crisp, light and bubbly. Vinegar goes on at the last minute so as not to make it soggy. Ugh to beef dripping!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Fish and chips (not asking for restaurant recommendations)

You will be lucky to get proper malt vinegar in many chippies now. It's non-brewed condiment (acetic acid with caramel for colour).

However if they offer, or you ask for, vinegar, by law it should be vinegar and not NBC

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Fish and chips (not asking for restaurant recommendations)

Sticks head over the pulpit.

Deffo not a regular F&C customer these days. The only times I've seen Huss on the menu were down on the south coast. It has a thick backbone, as opposed to others between the flesh, so I used to prefer that over cod/plaice/haddock as a kid.

I've not seen hake at an F&C shop here either but is a lovely fish.

If you are brave and don't care about your arteries, you might like to try chips and curry sauce!

Edited: 20 September 2013, 21:39
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Fish and chips (not asking for restaurant recommendations)

>>If you are brave and don't care about your arteries, you might like to try chips and curry sauce!<<

We had lunch in Kidwelly, Wales a few years back. It was a bank holiday and for some reason a local told us that the pub/s didn't serve lunch due to it being a holiday and so we opted for the only place open, which was a Chinese 'restaurant'/chippy/hamburger shop. I had a bacon & egg sandwich (which for some odd reason had 3 slices of bread .... bread/bacon/bread/egg/bread ... I took out the middle slice of bread LOL), but, on the menu they had "Rice & chips with curry sauce". I'm afraid the thought of all that stodge with curry sauce does my head in LOL

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,463 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Fish and chips (not asking for restaurant recommendations)

'Half and half', ( rice and chips) is quite common in Wales. Generally with curry or chili.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Fish and chips (not asking for restaurant recommendations)

Hi Mt

Many takeaways offer half and half and even some restaurants with your curry, chilli con carne or Chinese food.

Chip shop curry is a different item altogether, it has the thick homogenous consistency of thick gravy, no onions or any solid bits of anything in it.

Comes in a powder/paste and they just add boiling water and then stir the mixture, no cooking required.

Curry chips and rice , student standby

Edited: 20 September 2013, 22:08
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,634 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Fish and chips (not asking for restaurant recommendations)

Non brewed condiment, curry sauce (my former Him Indoors loved the stuff) - pah.

Anyone else prefer salt and a squeeze of lemon on their fish supper? Fishcotheque, under the arches at Waterloo, have a few lemon wedges on offer, very civilised indeed.