We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel with 13 yr old and 18 yr old girls

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NW Illinois
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel with 13 yr old and 18 yr old girls

Taking our two granddaughters to London next June and are wondering where to take them. My wife and I have been there several times, but would like ideas with the kiddies.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,022 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel with 13 yr old and 18 yr old girls

Let them look at a guidebook and decide for themselves what they want to see and do. I know at 18 (if not 13) I would not have wanted to be dragged around to places my grandparents thought I ought to see.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel with 13 yr old and 18 yr old girls

My wife and I have been there several times, but would like ideas with the kiddies

=========

I agree. They aren't kiddies any more. My 18 year definitely has opinions of his own and has done for several years as has his sister.

Pore over the guide books with them and find out what they want to see and do.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 06:56
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel with 13 yr old and 18 yr old girls

Another vote for simply asking them. I'm sure they'd already be mortified that you're still referring to them as kiddies!!

I would say let everyone pick what they want to do then sit together with your lists and work out your itinerary that makes everyone happy. That's where the forum comes into its own with helping with timings and putting places together.

13 and 18 don't necessarily like the same things. There's no way a bunch of strangers thousands of miles away would be able to figure out it for you.

I would hate for you to make so much effort for them to not enjoy themselves. You're already doing a wonderful thing for them.

Edited: 22 September 2013, 08:28
england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel with 13 yr old and 18 yr old girls

Do what we used to do on a week's holiday, pass round the guide books and maps, and then EVERYONE gets to choose one day's outings, and everyone else has to go along with it on that day, knowing that this is fair because they will get their day and no one else will moan.

Rules were strict, you went along with everyone else's day without complaining, and then got your own day .

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
6,884 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel with 13 yr old and 18 yr old girls

Agree with all the above: ask them.

There are no generic things that 18 year olds want to do or that 13 year olds want to do, they will have their own interests and we have no idea what those might be.

Quite possible that the 18 year old might want to go exploring on her own some of the time and not be dragging around with the rest of you the whole trip.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel with 13 yr old and 18 yr old girls

I agree that both teenagers need to have imput on this as they are both old enough to know what they like and dislike. Choosing everything for them could prove to be a big mistake however well meaning you are.

Knowing girls, shopping will be on the list and I would let them loose together to do this.

A West End show could be a possibility as people of all ages enjoy them.

Calling an 18 year old a kiddie made me smile. She would no doubt be mortified to have this label attached to her. It really isn't cool!

here
Level Contributor
304 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel with 13 yr old and 18 yr old girls

That's so sweet to take your granddaughters. It'll be fun :D

Some recommendations : madamme taussauds, london dungeons, Hyde park and saint james park, tower of london, london eye, oxford street, Buckingham palace...

Enjoy!

here
Level Contributor
304 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel with 13 yr old and 18 yr old girls

That's so sweet to take your granddaughters. It'll be fun :D

Some recommendations : madamme taussauds, london dungeons, Hyde park and saint james park, tower of london, london eye, oxford street, Buckingham palace...

Enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,445 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel with 13 yr old and 18 yr old girls

Both the 13 and 18 year old will be better able to use the internet to find out just what they want to see/do when visiting London than their doting grandparents so leave them to it but do research the places or events they shortlist as 'must-sees/do's' because they might not be your cup of tea at all.

10. Re: Travel with 13 yr old and 18 yr old girls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 06:22