We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Gatwick Airport to Queen Elizabeth hospital,woolwhich.

Munich, Germany
4 posts
Save Topic
From Gatwick Airport to Queen Elizabeth hospital,woolwhich.

Good day.

I have a a trip of sorts planned very soon. From Gatwick Airport to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, near Hornfair Park.

Yet my budget is very tight when it comes to transportation - only 100 pounds.I did some taxi research and the cheapest deal in best case would be 150 pounds.

I`ll have about 2 hours to get from Gatwick to destination,could be more, for me to arrive in time.

I read there is a train from LGY to city centre? Then I could get taxi or a bus to get to my destination.

I did research but its all very confusing, sorry.

Mentioned in this post
London Elizabeth Hotel
London Elizabeth Hotel
1,643 Reviews
London, UK
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Gatwick Airport to Queen Elizabeth hospital,woolwhich.

Looking at Google maps the 2 closest stations appear to be Charlton or Woolwich Dockyard. They are both on the same line Woolwich Dockyard being the stop after Charlton.

using www.nationalrail.co.uk (you can use this to get the times of trains nearest to your arrival time) you need to get a train from Gatwick Airport to London Bridge (First Capital Connect train) and then change to a train for Charlton (Southeastern trains). It takes just under and hour and costs £14.40. At Charlton just get a taxi or print off the route on google maps and walk it, looks about 1 - 2 km

Edited: 22 September 2013, 10:47
Mentioned in this post
London Bridge
London Bridge
299 Reviews
London, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
22,631 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Gatwick Airport to Queen Elizabeth hospital,woolwhich.

Exchange that £14.40 train ticket for a £13.00 off-peak one-day travelcard and you can use the 486 bus between Charlton Station and the Hospital for free. Tell the clerk that you want the First Capital Connect train from Gatwick as this route is cheaper.

Off-peak is after 09.30 Monday-Friday, any time Saturday and Sunday.

Mentioned in this post
Munich, Germany
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Gatwick Airport to Queen Elizabeth hospital,woolwhich.

Thank you very much?!

If someone else wants to give tips, im all ears!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,864 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Gatwick Airport to Queen Elizabeth hospital,woolwhich.

You didn't say when or at what time you are travelling so be aware that at certain times of the day FCC trains don't go via London Bridge. Check out their website for times and engineering changes at http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/

Mentioned in this post
London Bridge
London Bridge
299 Reviews
London, UK
Munich, Germany
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Gatwick Airport to Queen Elizabeth hospital,woolwhich.

Oh.Its estimated that the plane will land at about 10:30 local time.

London
Level Contributor
11,405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Gatwick Airport to Queen Elizabeth hospital,woolwhich.

Assuming you mean 1030 (rather than 2230), a 1030 arrival on a weekday will have no problem, use the route in post2. If you're arriving at the weekend, tell us the specific date as there are sometimes engineering diversions affecting this route - we can check when we know the date.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Gatwick Airport to Queen Elizabeth hospital,woolwhich.

When do you need to arrive at the hospital, and which Gatwick terminal do you arrive at? Slighly concerned that you are cutting it fine time-wise.

Mentioned in this post
Munich, Germany
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From Gatwick Airport to Queen Elizabeth hospital,woolwhich.

My bad forgettin all the info.

Supposed Terminal S

1030 morning,thursday

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Gatwick Airport to Queen Elizabeth hospital,woolwhich.

As it happens, QEH is my local hospital and my first reaction to the OP was to suggest a train to Woolwich Arsenal, rather than Charlton, as there are more buses from Woolwich to QEH than there are from Charlton. However, it's a case of a different bus stop for different bus routes in Woolwich, so I thought that wirewiper's suggestion of the 486 from Charlton was right on the money.

What route does the TfL journey planner suggest? Answer: train to Woolwich Arsenal, and then a bus! To repeat myself, I still agree with the route that wirewiper proposed so that you avoid any hassle with finding the right bus stop in Woolwich (and you'd no doubt be quite upset if you were to make your way to a particular bus stop for a particular bus route only to see a bus on one of the other routes sailing past you).

The TfL journey planner suggests a journey time of around 90 minutes, give or take 5 minutes, from Gatwick Airport station to the bus stop for the QEH and allows time to change trains at London Bridge (but not the additional 10 minutes that you would need to wait should the train that the journey planner anticipates that you would catch is cancelled on the day that you travel), nor does it allow time for you to get from plane to train (and I'm thinking of the entire time from being allowed to leave your seat, through to buying your travelcard and locating the correct platform) nor waiting time for the bus at Charlton, nor from the bus stop for the hospital to your final destination within the hospital. Fortunately, you do not have to allow time to transfer between terminals at Gatwick, but taking these points together, perhaps you will understand my question (in reply 7) about when you need to arrive at the hospital - by which I was really thinking of the time at which you need to be at your ultimate destination within the hospital - and why I was wondering if you had allowed sufficient time for the journey overall.

Mentioned in this post
London Bridge
London Bridge
299 Reviews
London, UK
10. Re: From Gatwick Airport to Queen Elizabeth hospital,woolwhich.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 06:21