We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time through customs at Heathrow

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Utah
Level Contributor
64 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Time through customs at Heathrow

Encouraged not to piggy back on another thread, wanted to ask a question about time through customs. Arriving to LHR from JFK Thursday this week the 26th @ 7:05AM to Terminal 4. Taking the tube to Euston station (1 hour), then hoping to catch a 10:20 or 10:40 train to Manchester. Is that enough time? Purchasing the tickets in advance is cheaper, unless I am mistaken, so just want to make sure I have ample time.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time through customs at Heathrow

You *should* have enough time. I usually allow 1 hour and 30 minutes to deplane, customs and pick up bags. So add n your hour to euston and you have a little wiggle room especially in booking the slightly later train. However you only need a delayed landing of 30 minutes and things could be tight. Only you can decide the risk to cost saving.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,727 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time through customs at Heathrow

Another suggestion - why not fly from Heathrow to Manchester?

Tickets are usually cheaper in advance - about 12 weeks in advance......

Utah
Level Contributor
64 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time through customs at Heathrow

Good point Peterscot, however we are flying standby and plans were changed last minute, as they always do! so of course flying would have been an option.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,850 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time through customs at Heathrow

I'd go for the later train. T4 can be very busy at that time of the morning with possible delays at immigration (not customs which takes a few seconds to walk through and you won't even see an officer) if there are a lot flights arriving from non EU destinations at the same time.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,406 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time through customs at Heathrow

You could buy off peak tickets (rather than Advance) which allow more flexibility on which trains you can use so take the guesswork out of it.

Level Contributor
3,394 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time through customs at Heathrow

Get an off peak ticket. You are coming through the airport at morning rush hour, after the first planes so will be stuck behind their queues. The potential for delays are enormous.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,421 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time through customs at Heathrow

If you decided to go for an off-peak ticket, you wouldn't even need to buy it in advance (and I have just spotted that this is for two days time so the saving won't be great anyway). You could go straight to Euston when you were ready, buy an off-peak ticket there and then and travel on any train departing between 09.40 and 15.00. You wouldn't have a seat reservation, but on all trains there are a number of unreserved seats in both Standard and First Classes - just sit in one of those.

Edited: 24 September 2013, 17:52
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,406 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time through customs at Heathrow

there are a number of unreserved seats in both Standard and First Classes -

-------------------

There are but coach E on Virgin is all unreserved seating anyway (not that those trains will be packed to the rafters).

Utah
Level Contributor
64 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time through customs at Heathrow

Just a quick update, planned on two hours for customs and emigration upon arriving at LHR on a Thursday morning at 7:30 AM, we arrived in terminal 4, and it took us all of 20 minutes. I will say that the best way to go from heathrow into London is the tube. We had a ton of luggage, two carryon rollers and a checked suitcase roller and we did just fine. It saved us a ton of money vs. using the Heathrow express to Paddington Station and because we were traveling to Euston, the Piccadilly line worked perfectly and we only had 1 change at green park. Which differed from the Heathrow Express by about 10 minutes. Take the tube!

Edited: 03 October 2013, 22:13
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,085 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Time through customs at Heathrow

You could have taken the Tube to Kings Cross - it's a 10 minute walk to Euston