We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay near Gatwick airport?

Burbank
Level Contributor
345 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay near Gatwick airport?

I have an early morning flight out of Gatwick airport next month, looking for a reasonably priced place to stay nearby...will be coming from the train station, I guess just stay on the train until it rolls into Gatwick airport? Never been down there before so not sure of the terrain. I assume taxis will be on hand to get me to any nearby hotel. Maybe a mile or so away so I can find some dinner beyond just an airport place!!

Thank you

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.70*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
London
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay near Gatwick airport?

If you go to a site such as lastminute.com you'll find lots of Gatwick hotels for all budgets.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,011 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay near Gatwick airport?

Yotel is situated within the terminal itself. They're tiny, but very comfortable rooms. I've stayed there a few times and its always fit the bill. Saves all the hassle of getting from the hotel to the terminal in the early hours.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay near Gatwick airport?

I stayed in the premier inn north terminal earlier this year and it was excellent. The one Straight across from the terminal. I had early morning flights and it worked well. There is an excellent free train between the two terminals which only takes a few minutes.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay near Gatwick airport?

There are literally hundreds of hotels and b&bs to suit all budgets. Many of the larger hotels have a shuttle service (none are free AFAIK) and some b&bs will take you to Gatwick though fewer will pick up. There are of course taxis. There are also half a dozen hotels connected to the airport or within a few minutes walk. Look in here under Gatwick hotels and ask if you can't decide.

For the hotels adjacent don't worry if they are at the North or South terminal there is a free train that shuttles between the two constantly, no need to pick a North hotel just because you are flying out of North.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay near Gatwick airport?

Define "reasonably priced" !

The cheapest local option is probably a b&b in Horley - although be warned, it will likely be straightforward and not like the twee versions you may have experienced back home. You will get a full English breakfast though. Factor in £15 total for taxi rides in addition. The Six Bells is a serviceable pub in Horley.

Mike

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,644 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay near Gatwick airport?

I've stayed at and very much liked the Courtyard Marriott. Short walk from South terminal, (though they also run a shuttle) so no faffing about with cabs. Clean, very good beds, very quiet rooms even when packed to the rafters and good showers. Often around £50-70 per night (paid in advance) depending on day of week/month.

The PI mentioned is another good option. I think it's still quite new so should be in reasonable condition.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,572 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to stay near Gatwick airport?

define "early morning". There are trains from Victoria from 3:00am even on a Sunday (generally)

London, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to stay near Gatwick airport?

Go on lastminute.com.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
781 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to stay near Gatwick airport?

I also give my vote to the Courtyard Marriott.....it's about a 7-10 min walk from the airport...there is also a shuttle which I took the morning of my flight, back to the airport, which took about 5 mins.

The hotel has beautiful rooms, and very quiet.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
30,371 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to stay near Gatwick airport?

I stayed at the Cumberland House B & B. http://cumberlandhs.com/

It is family run and they pick you up from the airport and take you back for your flight, all included. Single room from £50 and the breakfast is good.

There is a little pub 2mins down the lane which serves a good meal. Can't think what its called but you should find it on a website if you want to see the menu.

Edited: 26 September 2013, 18:44