We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any great restaurant bars?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Any great restaurant bars?

So....my husband and I are going to London for a quick weekend. We realize it's probably too late to book any table at the really great restaurants, so we are wondering if there are any BARS in some of these well known eateries where we can have a drink and an appetizer, and then move on to the next bar with good food.

We come from NYC so we would appreciate both high-end places as well as a-hole-in-the-wall local favorites.

Cheers!!

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Any great restaurant bars?

*Re stools at the bar, they are virtually non existent in pubs over here. As a general rule you buy your drinks and take them to your table. Some people will stand and drink at the bar but they tend to clutter the place up when it gets busy :-) when I visit the states I find the whole sitting at the bar thing a bit wierd and I end up feeling uncomfortable and in the way, but it's just what I'm used to*

I really liked the idea of sitting and eating at the bar last time I was in the US. Especially good if you're travelling alone. Something our own city gastro-pubs could learn from perhaps ?

Country pubs DO have seats at the bar, for lone punters to sit at and at least have a drink in the company of others. I simply wouldn't have a "local" that doesn't have stools at the bar. Chains like Wetherspoons are particularly rubbish on this front.

Try "The Exmouth Arms" in Clerkenwell for an honourable city exception with, incidentally, great street food nearby in Exmouth Market.

Mike

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Any great restaurant bars?

You could try Moro in Exmouth Market EC1. You can have a full meal or tapas sitting at the bar. They have a tapas bar next door as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Any great restaurant bars?

Disagree about bar stools, almost every pub I go to in London has them.

london
Level Contributor
582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Any great restaurant bars?

Re bar stools, apologies if I wasn't clear what I was trying to say that you don't tend to have people sitting and eating at the bar as you do in the USA. That said I also can't think of a pub that I have been in recently that had people sitting on stools drinking at the bar either! Standing and chatting yes, but not sitting.

I agree in quieter , suburban/country pubs it is more common. I have never actually worked out how you are supposed to comfortably sit on a tall bar stool and have a drink. Precarious and uncomfortable, although I am sure I cope better the more I drink! ;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Any great restaurant bars?

They feel quite comfy after the 3rd drink! If I'm with mates, we either stand or sit at the bar with most of the other locals.

16. Re: Any great restaurant bars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 06:22