We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supercar track experience close to London

Sydney, Aus
Level Contributor
37 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Supercar track experience close to London

My husband has been really sweet and patient with all my Europe trip planning. As a surprise anniversary gift, I wanted to give my Mr Car Lover a supercar experience gift (eg. 12 laps, lessons, etc).

We need something closest to London as us tourists will be taking public transport. Any recommendations for companies/ circuits that meets this requirement? Thanks in advance!

London
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supercar track experience close to London

These circuits are within striking distance of London: Brands Hatch (Kent, just SE of London), Thruxton (near Andover, west of London), Silverstone (north of London). All have various companies offering supercar experience days. However, none of the circuits have direct links to public transport, you need a rental car or a train/taxi combination.

Sydney, Aus
Level Contributor
37 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supercar track experience close to London

I just found the TopGear track does it...Dunsfold Aerodrome in Surrey. Google Map says it takes a train and a bus to get there - anyone know more about getting to this track?

Edited: 27 September 2013, 07:31
Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supercar track experience close to London

There is one at North Weald Airfield in Essex. You need a valid drivers license, must be over 21 and can just turn up on the day.

experiencemegastore.com/….UkUnin3TXMI

It's right next to the Routemaster Bus Driving Experience which needs to be booked in advance. My other half did this for a special birthday and reckoned it was better than the supercars

http://www.theexpeditional.com/experience/

London, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supercar track experience close to London

How fab, I didn't know about this and I live very near there.for north Weald, you could get the tube to Epping and it's a short bus/cab from there.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
289 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supercar track experience close to London

He may enjoy a trip to Mercedes Benz World - they have various driving experiences as well as other exhibitions and attractions:

…mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/m…

Its very close to both Woking and Weybridge train stations (from where there are buses or taxis) so it should be very easy to get there on public transport.

London
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supercar track experience close to London

Dunsfold has a planning restriction, the track experience dates are very limited. You might get lucky, but don't set your heart on that location.

Sydney, Aus
Level Contributor
37 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supercar track experience close to London

Thanks, Itsmeagain2 ...love the ideas about a supercar AND a bus!

Juka, sounds easy to get to, cheers for that. Looks like my plan is working out, can't wait to start researching further. :-)

Sydney, Aus
Level Contributor
37 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supercar track experience close to London

Just a little update...the airfield got questionable reviews and just driving at 2nd gear doesn't sound appealing no matter what supercar you're driving.

product-reviews.co.uk/supercar-experience-ca…

If we're going to do it, I've decided to pick the best. Doing a whole day at Silvercircuit (may I'll do other activities) since they have a specific supercar my husband salivates and dreams about (Nissan GTR).

Sydney, Aus
Level Contributor
37 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supercar track experience close to London

Me one more time...I found a direct bus from London to Silverstone. Anyone know of this service?

http://uk.megabus.com/Default.aspx

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supercar track experience close to London

I thought that seemed strange as I could see no reason why there would be a bus service to or from Silverstone, if you try to make a booking you'll see only three dates available, which happens to be the British Grand Prix next year.

In other words, it's a special bus for a special occasion, and you can certainly forget about doing a driving experience on those days, unless he's good enough he can be driving in the Grand Prix, in which case I'm sure the team will provide transport for you :-)

Pretty much all these tracks, if you think about it, are out in the boondocks so at minimum you are going to need a train and then a taxi, that's what I'd plan on, don't work too hard trying to find train and then bus combo,

Anyway, how can you turn up for a supercar racing day on a bus? :-)

Edited: 30 September 2013, 08:42