We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to Fit in When Visiting London

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Topic
How to Fit in When Visiting London

Interesting article: www.wikihow.com/Fit-in-when-Visiting-London

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: How to Fit in When Visiting London

Well this has been a fun read. Thanks for posting.. As a fellow countryman or is it woman? I am always amazed why Americans feel they have to "fit" in while on vacation. I understand we do not want to be the ugly Americans but honestly would you ever see this article written for English folks coming to the

US of A?

In my travels I just try to be polite and ask for things nicely. I am sure no one for a second thought I was not American. Now as for my peeps more than once people have started talking to them in French (in Paris) etc. Thinking they were locals. I guess the hipsters can pull it off better than me.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
82. Re: How to Fit in When Visiting London

Not quite sure who found my "I've never met an American I didn't like" post offensive or why.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: How to Fit in When Visiting London

At this point, it was probably personal...

Tbh I didn't find the article that patronising; going to another country is always different and it's good that there is now information out there to help those who aren't well-travelled. I had raised eyebrows a couple of times, but there was nothing that really stood out...

84. Re: How to Fit in When Visiting London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 September 2013, 19:35
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: How to Fit in When Visiting London

I have very rarely seen rabbit on the menu and if it was it appeared at a high end restaurant.

Personally, I have only tried rabbit once in Switzerland on a speciality night. It was awful!

My elderly dad however, remembers rabbit pie or stew from when he was young in the 1930's. His memories of it are good ones.

As for the article in general, it does have some truth in it but there are some inaccuracies in it too.

Why some potential visitors have this phobia about not appearing as a tourist and must try to fit in is beyond me. Why is it so important and why can't they just be themselves in any way? The only thing that I think is important in visiting any country is good manners but most of us have them anyway. The rest of it is not of any significance. Knowing a little about local customs can be helpful but there is a limit to how far you take it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: How to Fit in When Visiting London

jdbri, liking Americans- shockingly offensive ;-)

Would be more than happy to make your acquaintance at a TALF meet up sometime.

What is going on here?

Deleter, why continue to read if so highly offended?

If you don't like the forum leave the rest of us in peace.

87. Re: How to Fit in When Visiting London

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 September 2013, 21:05
88. Re: How to Fit in When Visiting London

Removed on: 28 September 2013, 21:35