We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London food bingo: A trip report

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
London food bingo: A trip report

Based on the many responses to my curry and chips question tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k677… I am looking to try as many dishes as i can.

I promised a TR so here is a start after 24 hours.

Arrived yesterday and walked to the Crown by Victoria Park. the Special was hamburger and we gave it a pass. Went by Palmers but it wasn't open till 6pm. Passed by a lot of lamb donor places snd was tempted but my wife felt that was more of a lunch place. Ended up at Italina and ordered pizza. OK- not really English but we were curious.

The original dish was invented in Naples with tomato and different toppings (margherita and marinara). Pizza was exported to NYC and the large New York version was born. There's also the deep dish Chicago version. We were curious what an English/ Italian version would be like.

We ended up with a version that was more like California Pizza Kitchen. We had the Italina topped with cherry tomato, ham and fresh basil. It was very good and also very large. We also ordered one with salami and chili that we ended taking home. We found it a little salty so hoping to find a good produce store for some additional toppings and warm it in our microwave. Maybe mushrooms and onions?

This morning, we ordered a full English breakfast from Leon restaurant. It came in a small paper container with egg at the bottom, cumberland sausage in the middle and beans and corn in tomato sause on top. Hmm.. Somehow that didnt seem like a proper English breakfast.

For lunch it was Happy Days for fish and chips. I had the cod with salt and vinegar. My wife had the haddock with no vinegar (which got her a look). She also had the ketchup -- which was was different from the typical American version. Very large serving but no peas. I thought the English version came with peas?

There was street food (mostly halal) that was offered nearby. The one that caught my eye: Japanese Chicken Katsu Wrap. A mashup/fushion dish!!

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: London food bingo: A trip report

Al the shopkeeper was probably going to nuke it in the microwave.

She was right

Quickest way to ruin a Scotch Egg or any sort of pie or pastry item come to that.

I admire your trenchermen characteristics and your total dedication to the task in hand and your commitment to research!

A freshly deep fried crunchy crispy not greasy SE is the way to have them or as an alternative warmed in a conventional oven.

Loving the thread.

Yorkshire Pudding

As Today's Sunday

It's got to be the roast dinner today surely?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,635 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: London food bingo: A trip report

The cherry on the cake (frantically mixing metaphors) of a Scotch egg is the crisp coating as a contrast to the softer sausagemeat around the egg. Eating the egg cold would offer zero crispness, zero contrast, and be about as exciting as eating a boiled egg wrapped in loft insulation. I wouldn't eat cold arancini, so why consider a cold Scotch egg? Fie upon it, although indeed heating the egg in a microwave oven would cause unacceptable sogginess.

Will it be Sunday roast today or more investigation of cheesey comestibles? Looking forward to reading more.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: London food bingo: A trip report

On the sausage roll / pigs in blankets front, the ones from Ginger Pig usually get good reviews. OP, you may want to try one of these before writing of the UK version completely:

http://www.thegingerpig.co.uk/

…wordpress.com/2012/…

Perugia, Italy
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: London food bingo: A trip report

Thank you, ALTippet, for starting one of the most enjoyable threads I've ever read on TA and thank you everyone else for your contributions. It's a fascinating thread!

Kent
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: London food bingo: A trip report

Most sausages rolls from supermarkets are pretty dire. My butcher does a lovely one made from his own recipe sausage meat with a layer of caramelised red onion between the meat and the flaky pastry, still warm if we get there early enough. Best ones I have ever had.

London, United...
Level Contributor
344 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: London food bingo: A trip report

Thanks for this delicious review! ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: London food bingo: A trip report

I love sausages wrapped in bacon, sizzling hot, but not fond of sausage rolls I find that the pastry ruins a good sausage, much prefer my sausages with a slightly crispy browned surface not pink and bland in the middle of a sausage roll. Pastry is for pies and pasties not sausages, just wrong in my humble opinion.

Am not overly fond of Scotch eggs either, but start me on a bacon butty and I could rave for hours, nothing beats it, served hot and crispy on a bread bun with plenty of melting butter and lashings of brown sauce.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 17:34
London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: London food bingo: A trip report

Maybe because of my age, I was brought up during the late 40's and 50's, but I positively like most forms of offal. It wa not so much eating cheaply under rationing as eating what was available. This certainly included things that were traditionally seen a cheap cuts of meat but also things that are now not easy to find - Sainsburys hasn't sold rabbit for years and there are very good reasons for the unavailability of whalemeat.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,539 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: London food bingo: A trip report

I am late to this thread...but my favorite thing wrapped in bacon is figs...all stuck under the broiler for a fantastic starter.

As for cheese, before you leave, please try the Leicester Red Devil. I feel sure you will like it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: London food bingo: A trip report

My mother won't eat tuna, claiming that it was a cheap substitute for tinned salmon during the war. She would never let us eat corned beef after the typhoid outbreak in the early sixties.

Speaking of offal, anyone still eat braised/stuffed heart? Again, something I can only find at the farmers' market.