We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night life in the winter and Christmas

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Topic
Night life in the winter and Christmas

Do people go to night clubs to dance during the coldest months of winter?

Also, how is the night life in the week of Christmas. Does everything close on Christmas day?

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
4,222 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night life in the winter and Christmas

Uh, yes people still go to bars and clubs in the winter. The whole city doesn't shut down, you'll still find plenty of nightlife. But you won't find much to do on Christmas day and possibly the day after, Boxing Day.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night life in the winter and Christmas

No public transport on Christmas Day, limited transport on Boxing Day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night life in the winter and Christmas

I don't know how cold you think it gets in London, but of course life carries on as normal, even at 30F!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night life in the winter and Christmas

The night life on Christmas week will generally be quiet.

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Night life in the winter and Christmas

From your answers I guess it's not a good idea to travel on Christmas week, since there will be limited public transport on two days (Christmas and Boxing) and the night life will be quieter... Sounds like it would be a waste of money to travel so far and not get the most out of it.... I think I will postpone my trip. Thanks everyone.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night life in the winter and Christmas

You are right to postpone your visit until after the Xmas period due to travel difficulties, but are you just coming to London for the nightlife?? If so it is a rather expensive destination to visit just for that reason, most people combine it with sightseeing for the capital has so much to offer in the way of history and culture.

If it is just for clubbing you would probably find it cheaper to try destinations like Ibiza.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,234 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Night life in the winter and Christmas

If you just want nightlife then come to Liverpool.

A heck of a lot cheaper than London, but with similar classy clubs, bands, DJ's, entertainers etc.

And we have shops in Liverpool too!

Plus world class art galleries and museums such as the Tate and Walker.

But you'll still have the same problem of places closing on Xmas Day and a lack of public transport over the Christian Festival period.

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Night life in the winter and Christmas

Hi guys. No, i'm not going to London just for the nightlife, I want sightseeing too... But I guess both are going to be kind of closed during Christmas week, right?

How about New Years Eve and the first week of January?

Edited: 28 September 2013, 20:01
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,234 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Night life in the winter and Christmas

On New Years Eve in the UK you will find that most nightclub are ticket-only events. In fact, a lot of pubs and bars will probably be the same so you might have problems getting in anywhere.

But if you do what most other people do and head down to the River Thames you will be able to watch the fireworks and join in the festivities as the New Year is welcomed in. Take a few beers with you, but I don't think you aren't allowed glass bottles as security is very tight.

New Years Day is business as usual, although some of the bars and pubs will probably open later in the day than normal.

I'm not sure how the tourist attractions, museums etc operate in London over New Years Eve and New Years Day, but it might be best for you to visit the week around New Year instead of over Xmas.

This will give you an idea of what the firework display in London was like on New Years Eve 2012. Enjoy! ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1yLRK2M8YQ

Edited: 28 September 2013, 20:47
Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Night life in the winter and Christmas

Very beautiful firework display! And what do people do after the Fireworks? Is there some kind of public party or people just go back home and sleep?