We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Westonbirt National Arboretum by coach?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
508 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
London to Westonbirt National Arboretum by coach?

Anyone know whether there is a London coach operator operating day trips to Westonbirt National Arboretum? I have tried searching and I can find coach trips with pick up points in Wales and Plymouth but not apparently from London! My local garden centre usually ran trips but has stopped.

I don't fancy driving there and back in one day but a coach trip/mini bus would be fine.

Thanks

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,885 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Westonbirt National Arboretum by coach?

If you can't find a coach tour the only thing I can suggest is getting a train to Bath and from there get a bus to Westonbirt.

It will take 1 hour 15 mins on the bus from Bath to Westonbirt, but the only problem is the bus service isn't very regular.

You would have to get the bus from Bath at 10.43am and return on the 2.38pm or the 5.17pm back to Bath.

Although there is a bus at 3.16pm which you can get back to Chippenham and get a train from there back to London.

Edited: 28 September 2013, 13:21
London
Level Contributor
508 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Westonbirt National Arboretum by coach?

Thanks Matt but I am bringing along my elderly parents this time so I would like to avoid the hassle of checking and organising trains and buses. My mum said she wants "a nice coach trip!"

Thanks

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,885 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Westonbirt National Arboretum by coach?

Okay, my plan is a bit too much hassle, especially if you miss one of the buses!

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Westonbirt National Arboretum by coach?

Does it have to be that one, or do they just like arboretums? There's a lovely arboretum in Surrey that you could drive to, saving you the bother of trains and buses.

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/winkworth-arboretum/

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Westonbirt National Arboretum by coach?

+1 Trillian, I went to Winkworth this spring when the bluebells were out, very nice. There is also The Savill Garden / VIrginia Water, not quite the same but even easier to get to from London, and if you dont drive you could train and then taxi from station.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Westonbirt National Arboretum by coach?

I understand why you want to go to Westonbirt. My only thought is to contact the Arboretum to see whether they have any bookings by coach companies in the Lodon area

London
Level Contributor
508 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Westonbirt National Arboretum by coach?

Thanks all - I am going to Winkworth and Savill Garden in October anyway because those are short car journeys (my dad doesn't like long car journeys either but long coach ones are fine) - as railtraveller65 says I really want to take them to Westonbirt.

Good thought railtraveller65 - I didn't think of that and I have just emailed them. I hope they can help.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Westonbirt National Arboretum by coach?

If all else fails, get in some advance planning for next year by contacting any coach company that does day trips from your part of London and sugest they add it to their programme.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,212 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Westonbirt National Arboretum by coach?

Catherine,

Not sure where in London you are starting from but if you avoid the rush hour the journey by car from west London to Westonbirt can take as little as two hours. Is that too much for your father? If so there are plenty of service stations on the M4 where you can take a break.

Just a thought as the gardens, if you time it right, are stunning.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Westonbirt National Arboretum by coach?

Another solution (which I fully understand you may not want to do) is to get a group together and hire your own coach.