We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Duck Tours Fire

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
London Duck Tours Fire

Yet another incident with one of these boats - a different company this time though. In that past I have considered doing one of these trips, but now I'm not entirely convinced that they are safe.......

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24323395

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Duck Tours Fire

Just heard about this on the radio.

The Yellow Duckmarine tours in Liverpool where stopped a few months ago after several accidents. And the company operating them won't be getting their license back.

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
942 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Duck Tours Fire

Yikes! I've been tempted in the past with one of these in Dublin or London, but never been convinced they're safe.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Duck Tours Fire

We enjoyed our Duck Tour last summer. I'm not sure we'd ever feel the need to do it again (but I suspect the business model plans for "one-offs"). We can all swim (not that I would ever wish to dunk a toe in the Thames)....I think I took that into account when booking (or using the Clipper service, for that matter).

Unlike when a taxi or tourist coach gets pranged on the roads, there are plenty of people with cameras watching these boats.

These tours have been heavily promo'd at Legoland (so probably other places too). I am guessing these bonkers beasts are just too busy...

I would like to see them stay, for what it is worth.

Norfolk
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Duck Tours Fire

I enjoyed our trip on these a few years ago, and would be sad to see them go.

I noticed that Bungle73 says "Yet another incident with one of these boats" - I had not heard of any previous incidents on the Thames, and I though that the Liverpool incident was a submarine?

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Duck Tours Fire

>>I noticed that Bungle73 says "Yet another incident with one of these boats" - I had not heard of any previous incidents on the Thames, and I though that the Liverpool incident was a submarine?<<

They were these types of boats, not a submarine (although the vessels in question did seem to think it was one) - it happened twice. There are several companies around the world operating these vessels.

Edited: 29 September 2013, 14:44
Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Duck Tours Fire

There are Duck tours in many places outside the UK too, e.g. Dublin

We have done the London one a couple of times and while the vehicles are old, I have not been particularly concerned. I have been in Routemaster buses that have sounded and looked worse.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Duck Tours Fire

But if a Routemaster breaks down you don't end up up to your neck in water. ;p

Norfolk
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Duck Tours Fire

Thanks for your reply, Bungle.

Yes, there are several of these around - we even have them operating from beaches here in Norfolk.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,939 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Duck Tours Fire

As well as the 2 sinking incidents of the Ducks in Liverpool, one of the rear wheels on one of the Ducks fell off as it was going down Duke Street in Liverpool city centre - while it was full of passengers!

I did go on it once in Liverpool and enjoyed it; even the Queen went on it last summer when she visited Liverpool. The Duke of Edinburgh went on it too - but he is quackers! ;-p

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Duck Tours Fire

The London Duck Tour we went on a while back was so boring that a fire would have been light relief.