We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in London in two to three days this November?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in London in two to three days this November?

I'm planning a quick trip from Paris to London mid November by train and wanted to get some advice on what must see's and do's that would be good that time of year? I'm already planning on seeing the Tate museum, Big Ben, etc. but wanted some tips on any other must see's I might not be thinking of, sites, shopping, food, etc.

Haven't booked a hotel yet either so any affordable suggestions would be great too.

Thanks!

Edited: 29 September 2013, 22:41
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in London in two to three days this November?

What do you class as affordable? For suggestions we need a budget in sterling.

Re "must sees" then they are down to personal interests and up to you to work out. As for advising you about what sights you have missed then we don't know what you have chosen so that is a totally impossible question to answer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in London in two to three days this November?

As Bev implies, YOU need to do more research in to what YOU want to see.

If you give specific interests we might be able to suggest specifics but we can't plan an itinerary for you.

You don't seem to be aware that there are two Tates in London.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in London in two to three days this November?

Haven't booked a hotel yet either so any affordable suggestions would be great too.

------

The Ritz (well, plenty of people seem to be able to afford it, it's been going for years)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,044 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in London in two to three days this November?

Depending on when you plan to travel in November, you may need to book a hotel very soon. Use www.xe.com for the exchange rate calculation and let us know your budget in pounds.

If you've not yet booked trains from Paris to London then on to Amsterdam you need to do that right now. Book at www.eurostar.com rather than through any third party website.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in London in two to three days this November?

At least the OP said thanks, but seriously as others have suggested you need to research more about what you want to see, because it may well differ from what folk here recommend.

'Affordable' accommodation could mean anything without knowing your budget, preferably in £'s.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in London in two to three days this November?

Wow sorry I asked. I was just looking for some basic suggestions, shopping areas, etc. obviously I would choose what I liked to do or not? And the Ritz come on, no need to be a total jerk about it.

Edited: 29 September 2013, 23:24
California
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in London in two to three days this November?

Hi Theresa - The folks on this forum like to rough up the newbies, ignore them. I don't know what days of the week you plan on visiting, but here are some of the places that I've enjoyed many times on my trips (many of them in November).

Spitalfields Market for browsing and lunch (I prefer weekdays). The market area is covered so it's great on a rainy day, it's an easy walk from Liverpool Street station:

spitalfields.co.uk/traders.php#.UkirxvHn8qQ

Covent Garden Market on Mondays' has a nice assortment of vintage items, jewelry, knick knacks, with vendors set up throughout the indoor market area and in the adjacent Jubilee Market Hall

Tuesday-Friday, a General Market operates, with traders selling clothing and household goods, and on Saturday and Sunday Jubilee Market offers arts and crafts.

www.coventgardenlondonuk.com/markets/page/1

The Museum of London (Barbican tube stop)

FREE ENTRY

Mon-Sun: 10am – 6pm

Galleries begin to close at 5.40pm

museumoflondon.org.uk/london-wall/…

Borough Market (walkable from St. Paul's, or walk across London Bridge to Southbank)

Thurs: 11am-5pm, Fri: Noon-6pm, Sat: 8am - 5pm

http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/

Tip: Visit Southwark Cathedral, which sits right next to one of the borders of the market. It's the oldest cathedral in London and a pagan worship site in Roman times.

http://cathedral.southwark.anglican.org/

Edited: 29 September 2013, 23:50
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in London in two to three days this November?

^^ MChiddy. I can't see where any of the replies so far have 'roughed up the newbie' . Is it unreasonable to ask what the OP considers to be an affordable price for accommodation and ask them to do a bit of research into the things THEY want to see ?

The touchy response from the OP was a bit uncalled for in my opinion. Not the best approach to get helpful advice. Shall we start again ?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in London in two to three days this November?

Bluebreezer54, how can we start again because we haven't got any more information to go on?

OP, if you want our help then instead of a snarky response then help us to help you.

There are countless hotels in London at prices to suit everyone. Some people could afford the Ritz. Others can't. So yet again, what is your budget in sterling?

Shopping areas can be found in a guide book but if you are looking for department stores then go to Oxford Street. More high end shopping is around Knightsbridge. Interesting shops, then take a walk around Covent Garden.

What do you want to know about food? Restaurants to go to maybe or what we eat?

As for the sights, then I still stick to what I said in my previous post.

Now will that do because this is like swimming in mud or pulling teeth out?!

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in London in two to three days this November?

I do think you need to mention something about your interests. I've been to London probably 6 or 7 times since 2008, but I didn't go to the Tate Modern until probably my 5th trip, and then it wasn't really worth the time. But that's my opinion, and I don't really like modern art. In contrast, my daughter and I spent 5 hours at the Tower of London on our first trip and went to the playground at Coram's Fields every day. Of course, she was 10 on that trip. Now that she's 15, we've moved on to Camden Market, but we only made it there on our trip this July. On another trip, I visited the RAF Ops Room in Uxbridge, but that may not interest you at all. Saying "etc" doesn't help, as we don't know what's included in that, so can't say what you're missing besides the Tate (which one) and Big Ben. For example, you don't mention Westminster Abbey or the Tower of London. Are those included in "etc"?

We mainly shop at used bookstores and Forbidden Planet (originally for Star Wars but now for Dr Who). If you like quilting, obviously you'd want to shop other places.

I usually pay 100-150 GBP/night for a twin room (the 150 GBP was with AC). I don't know if that's affordable for you, however.

You can (hopefully) see why more information would be helpful in helping others help you.