We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Pancras to Charing cross or

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
137 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
St Pancras to Charing cross or

Hi i will be arriving from Sheffield to St Pancras on east coast trains. I need to then get to the strand palace hotel. Can anyone please advise me am i better on the underground or another poster suggested catching the 19 bus. Im a complete newbie so i would welcome advice please.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,196 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Pancras to Charing cross or

The number 19 doesn't call at St Pancras, it travels from the Angel through Clerkenwell and on towards Holborn.

The number 91 towards Trafalgar Square will be a far more amenable journey than the Underground. Board the bus at stop A in front of Camden Town Hall (large, grey, unattractive): tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/king… Alight at stop U, which will be announced as Savoy Street, for the Strand Palace hotel, which is almost immediately across the road from the bus stop. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/aldw…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Pancras to Charing cross or

The 59 bus (not the 19) would be best. Get on at St Pancras and off at Lancaster Place/Aldwych - the hotel is diagonally across the street almost opposite Waterloo Bridge.

www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/…

Or indeed the 91. Reverse the 19!

Edited: 30 September 2013, 22:14
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
137 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Pancras to Charing cross or

Thanks guys really appreciate the quick reply's. I think i prefer the bus idea to the tube.

Kingston upon...
Level Contributor
94 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Pancras to Charing cross or

91 is a bit better. It stops almost outside the hotel. 59 does not stop in Lancaster Place in this direction, so you would need to get off at the stop outside Somerset House, and walk along the Strand from there.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,195 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Pancras to Charing cross or

so you would need to get off at the stop outside Somerset House, and walk along the Strand from there.

==================================================

True but the hotel's not far along the Strand, it's practically on the corner and the traffic is often so bad, it's quicker to get off there and walk the rest. I wouldn't wait for a 91 if a 59 came first, put it that way.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Pancras to Charing cross or

East Coast don't run from Sheffield to St. Pancras. They don't run into St. Pancras at all. It will be an East Midlands Trains service.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
57,665 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Pancras to Charing cross or

I suggested the 91 in the other thread. Apologies if I typed 19 by mistake. I suspected Maz didn't really want to go to Charing Cross tube station, but to a nearby hotel!

I would take the bus to the Strand Palace myself. The stop for the 59 is not too far from the hotel, although I haven't stayed at the SP since 2006.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,440 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Pancras to Charing cross or

10 minutes on the tube or 45 minutes on a bus, whatever you prefer.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
57,665 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Pancras to Charing cross or

Still the bus for me! No dark tunnels, able to look at the streets and buildings on the way, no wandering down endless corridors to change lines, and cheaper to boot.

But only if I'm not in a big hurry lol!

Kingston upon...
Level Contributor
94 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Pancras to Charing cross or

To get either a 59 or 91 bus you will need to have a ticket before you get on. Best to buy an Oyster Card, which you can get from the National Rail ticket office at St. Pancras (or online if you have time for it to be posted to you before you travel). This link explains Oyster in detail http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_card

And by the way you will be very unlucky if the bus takes 45 minutes. Normal journey time would be 20 to 25 minutes. Tube would not be much quicker by the time you have walked from Charing Cross to the hotel