We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tube to LHR at 6am?

White Marsh...
5 posts
Save Topic
Tube to LHR at 6am?

How early does the tube run? Can I get the Tube from Central London to LHR terminal 4 for a 9am flight?

Mentioned in this post
Central Hotel
Central Hotel
95 Reviews
London, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,386 Reviews
from US$126.10*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath, Pub...
2,144 Reviews
from US$128.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
539 Reviews
from US$113.80*
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
53 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tube to LHR at 6am?

timetable, given to me on another thread: tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/first-and-last-p…

it does seem doable, but lets see what the experts say

Edited: 01 October 2013, 01:18
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tube to LHR at 6am?

Some tubes start about 5.00/5.30 am, but later on a Sunday.

Keep in mind that for an international flight some recommended times for being at the airport is three hours before the flight.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tube to LHR at 6am?

Whether you 'can' depends on your start point in central London and the date / day of the week you will travel. Planned works on the Underground could mean a disruption in the journey, so let us know more, please. As well, to what destination from T4 are you flying and will you have checked in on line the day before travel?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
White Marsh...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tube to LHR at 6am?

Thanks for the replies! I thinks it's the South Kensington area on Thurs Nov 27th. My luggage is checked through to the states

Mentioned in this post
South Kensington
South Kensington
306 Reviews
London, UK
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,433 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tube to LHR at 6am?

South Kensington is a direct shot on the piccadilly line (underground) to heathrow. It takes about 45 minutes. However it looks like the first northbound train to heathrow goes at just before 6am.

Mentioned in this post
South Kensington
South Kensington
306 Reviews
London, UK
White Marsh...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tube to LHR at 6am?

That will work if you all think I can get through security etc in 2hrs.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,593 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tube to LHR at 6am?

At least three hours seems to be the default advice on this forum, but which, if any, airlines recommend that? (The people who run airports probably do because they want you to spend as much as people in the shops.) I have flown several times with BA and Virgin to North America in recent years, and their advice was to allow at least two hours if checking in at the airport and 45 minutes if you've checked in online. I would always give myself more time than the 45 minutes, if only to allow for eventualities, but to worry about slightly less than three hours if you've checked in online seems totally unnecessary.

Edited: 02 October 2013, 18:29
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,506 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tube to LHR at 6am?

The first weekday train from South Ken is at 6.00am and arrives at T4 at 6.40am. That'll give you 2hr20 for check in, security, etc. which should be fine.

The recommendation for three hours check in is to *plan* to be at the airport 3 hours before departure. That way, if you're delayed en route by an hour, you're still comfortably okay. Plan to arrive 2 hours before departure and delayed an hour you could be in trouble.

In Lovesnewplaces's case I think the 6am tube should be fine. But, in the unlikely event of the Piccadilly line being belly up that morning, have a plan B in your back pocket. Taxi to Paddington and then Heathrow Express is very expensive, but useful as a last resort back up to help you make check in.

Edited: 02 October 2013, 19:55
Mentioned in this post
The Paddington Hotel
The Paddington Hotel
391 Reviews
London, UK
Heathrow Express
Heathrow Express
960 Reviews
London, UK
White Marsh...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tube to LHR at 6am?

Thanks for being so informative. I feel better with 2 plans in my back pocket!!

10. Re: Tube to LHR at 6am?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 05:19