We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitechapel to Gatwick Airport

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Whitechapel to Gatwick Airport

My wife and I have booked a side trip to Amsterdam after 5 nights in London at WhiteChapel.

We have a 11am Flight from Gatwick Airport Sunday 20th October 2013, and have tried to get my head around the trains we need to get to Gatwick Airport - Tube to Victoria & GEX or Tube and Rail or Rail & Rail???.. allowing for check-in time which is suggested to be 3 hours before the flight, so 8am at Gatwick. Some Timetables give an hours trip, others give up to 2 hours.. almost half inclined to bail the night before and get a hotel at Gatwick Airport. Also I see that there are rail works in progress for the Train line/s to Gatwick Airport with closures, but there does not seem to be any details for Sunday 20 October (No Works??might be a day off for the workers). Any suggestions would be good.

1. Re: Whitechapel to Gatwick Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 October 2013, 09:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitechapel to Gatwick Airport

There are no engineering works affected Whitechapel Station on Sunday 20th October, contrary to the post above.

On Sunday, the first train from Whitechapel to Victoria is at 06:49, arriving Victoria 07:07.

There are trains from Victoria to Gatwick Airport at 07:26 arriving 08:18, or 07:32 arriving 08:10

An alternative would be to book a taxi to Blackfriars Station, from where a train leaves for Gatwick Airport at 06:55, arriving at 07:44. In normal circumstances you could take the tube from Whitechapel to Blackfriars, but the service doesn't start early enough on a Sunday to make this viable for you.

London
Level Contributor
9,557 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitechapel to Gatwick Airport

You've picked a really unfortunate day to try to get to Gatwick in the early morning.

There are lots of rail engineering works which affect this journey. The route from London Bridge is not operating at all, and the route from Victoria has a significantly reduced service.

Can you swap departure airport or departure date? If not, if it were me, I'd spend Sat night at an airport hotel.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,901 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitechapel to Gatwick Airport

With a stay in Whitechapel (have you booked the Ibis Budget in Whitechapel Road?) there's no need to cross London to Victoria; the 0655 from Blackfriars will have you at the airport well in advance of departure.

With a flight to AMS you need not arrive at Gatwick with three hours lead time; if you'd rather take the 0734 train from Blackfriars and arrive at the airport at 0824 you'll still have time for a cup of tea. The first District line train leaves Whitechapel at 0647, arriving Blackfriars at 0659.

There are escalator up from the ticket hall (at street level) to the National Rail platforms at Blackfriars station and escalators from the Underground platforms to the ticket hall as well. You may buy rail tickets a day or two in advance should you wish to save the aggro of buying at early o'clock and with baggage in tow.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitechapel to Gatwick Airport

Not difficult at all.

Take the District line from Whitechapel to Blackfriars and from there the First Capital Connect train to Gatwick.

On a Sunday that would be the 6.49 District line train from Whitechapel, arriving Blackfriars at 6.59. You can go as late as the 7.13, arriving BFR at 7.22. There's an FCC train to Gatwick at 7.34, arriving Gatwick at 8.24.

Arriving at Gatwick 2hr36 before departure should be fine.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,175 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitechapel to Gatwick Airport

Night bus N550 runs from nearby every half hour till about 0615 to take you to Blackfriars.to connect with the 0655

see …tfl.gov.uk/user/AHF/TLJJP18P1__00004b06.pdf

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,955 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitechapel to Gatwick Airport

Should you be travelling to Amsterdam, the ferry trip is a great experience www.stenaline.co.uk

London
Level Contributor
9,557 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whitechapel to Gatwick Airport

The rail companies are giving mixed messages. FCC website claim they're running a normal timetable on 20 Oct. but the National Rail site says all trains through East Croydon will be disrupted, including FCC....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whitechapel to Gatwick Airport

Thank you, for all the advise and suggestions.

I have decided to relocate to a Hotel in the Gatwick area Saturday.

From the timetables and options, I would have been up and moving very early Sunday morning, to get the first trains for connections to Gatwick. Being a holiday it defeats the Sunday Morning sleep in..

Regards

10. Re: Whitechapel to Gatwick Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2014, 05:19