We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crown Plaza Kensington vs. the Ampersand

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Crown Plaza Kensington vs. the Ampersand

After reading the review at TA, i'm starting to consider Crown Plaza Kensington. I have booked at the Ampersand, it claims to be very close to South Kensington station. The Crown Plaza Kensington is also very close to Gloucester station. Any comments on this?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,226 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crown Plaza Kensington vs. the Ampersand

The CP is very close to Gloucester Road tube (not Gloucester an entirely different location). The Ampersand is near South Ken and is a higher standard of hotel so location notwithstanding not really comparable. Nothing wrong with either but I would expect the Ampersand to be more expensive.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,181 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crown Plaza Kensington vs. the Ampersand

Two good hotels, you'll not go wrong at either. Me, I'd go with the rate.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crown Plaza Kensington vs. the Ampersand

For standard room, both hotel rates are similar.

What about the surrounding area?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,657 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crown Plaza Kensington vs. the Ampersand

The two hotels are no more than a ten minute walk apart and there is little difference between the two locations. The Crowne Plaza is on the slightly busier road but there are scores of restaurants and pubs within a very short walk of both places and the two tube stations (Gloucester Road & South Kensington) are both close by.

The Ampersand will probably give you a more personal experience.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
225 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crown Plaza Kensington vs. the Ampersand

The Ampersands is a newer property among the two ?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,657 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crown Plaza Kensington vs. the Ampersand

Both are old buildings. The original hotel where the Ampersand now stands dates from 1889 but it was only converted last year.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,226 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crown Plaza Kensington vs. the Ampersand

The Ampersand was refurbed much more recently. I've stayed at the CP and it's a pretty standard business-y hotels in a good location esp if you have an early/late transfer from Heathrow but nothing special. The Ampersand is more design/boutiquey so if the rates are really the same and unless I were collecting or using points I'd go with the Ampersand tbh. As I said before they're not really directly comparable.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,536 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crown Plaza Kensington vs. the Ampersand

I agree, can't compare the two properties - vastly different styles. Stand alone urban premium product against a typically corporate volume product. Individually decorated themed, versus standard international group type decor rooms. The Ampersand I feel is very underrated in this price market, great location, wonderful ambience, unique and superb service delivery.

It's similar in type to Hotel Gran Mahakam in Jakarta - but with modern contemporary colours, like classical meets modern.

Between the two, I would choose the Ampersand.

9. Re: Crown Plaza Kensington vs. the Ampersand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 06:19