We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1 day in London

We arrive the morning of the day before we depart on a cruise out of Southampton. I would like to know what tour etc. would be the best to see the highlights of the city in 1 day

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,530 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day in London

I suppose you could look into taking a Hop on Hop Off bus to get an overview of London.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,447 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day in London

What are the highlights you would want to see? What are your interests?

If just a general overview then the HoHo bus Laura suggests would be the best. Maybe have afternoon tea somewhere smart.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day in London

Thank you for your response. I was thinking of something similar but thought I would check for other options.

West Virginia
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day in London

If I had but one day -

I would catch the Number 15 and ride the route from end to end.

And then I would go to one of London's glorious parks for the rest of the day.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,530 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day in London

Even the Ho Ho bus won't cover all of London in a single day; you might want to determine exactly what it is you would like to see.

A river cruise would show you many sights, but then so would a stroll along the Thames. Really depends on what you are after.

There are very good guided tours offered by London Walks--but again, you will not see the entire city--only a slice.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day in London

Not clear how much time you actually have -

'Morning arrival' Does this mean early (6am) flight into Heathrow ? [And jet lag]

'Cruise out of Southampton (next day) Are you staying overnight in london or travelling to Southampton for overnight stay before boarding ?

Depending on the above, the time available for sightseeing in London could vary from just a few hours to parhaps 15 if you stay up late. Whatever the answer to that, you will still only scrape the surface of available highlights, hence the need for your list of priorities, but knowing how long you have could help with more structured suggestions about viewing

Edited: 05 October 2013, 17:17
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day in London

Hop on Hop off bus is what I suggest. But London is so full of attractions and activities that you would regret not spending a few days here.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day in London

The OP's luggage could be a problem, they surely won't want to be carting that around with them all day ?

9. Re: 1 day in London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 06:19