We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Croydon to Gatwick?

hamilton
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
Croydon to Gatwick?

Flying in and out of Gatwick, have booked (and prepaid) at the Ibis Styles hotel. Used to live in London and haven't been back since school finished. Having a sort of mini reunion with some school friends, one who lives very near the Ibis Styles Croydon which is why I am staying there. After the mini reunion, will travel on Easy Jet to some European destiantions on an extended European sojourn and retirement gift to myself.

The address for the hotel is:-

585 589 London Road

Thornton Heath

London

CR7 6AY LONDON

I would like to know if the hotel is close to public transport for getting to Gatwick. I will have one suitcase and one carry on and don't want to schelp the bag all over the place, the less walking with luggage in tow the better. How much will it cost to get to LGW from the hotel? Any trips with train tickets? How long will it take to get to Gatwick.

Another question, I am not familiar with Croydon, is it far from Central London? Are there good underground connections to the central areas of the city?

What is within walking distance of the hotel? Pubs, restaurants, stores?

Thanks.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,473 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Croydon to Gatwick?

If you have a look at the hotel on streetview, you'll see a 289 bus The timetable here : www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/… confirms that that route starts at Purley, from where there are plenty of Gatwick trains. East Croydon has even more, but that's a short walk from the bus route.

That's the good news. Thornton Heath is not dangerous as such, but it's not a place in which I'd choose to spend my holidays. Likewise Croydon - I work there and I just don't like it. All 60's concrete and there's not one decent pub ! On the plus side (and I'm really trying here), central Croydon has every shop you could ever need and some good curry houses towards South Croydon. Restaurants tend to be of the chain variety and largely uninspiring.

The area is very easy to reach from central London on the trains. I'd suggest cancelling and staying there if your budget allows. Further South, Reigate is ok and would be a better choice in which to stay, although trains north generally require a change at Redhill.

Mike

hamilton
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Croydon to Gatwick?

Thanks for the replies. USed to live in Hounslow - not the nisest area of London. How does Croydon compare?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,909 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Croydon to Gatwick?

Hounslow v Croydon? Difficult to choose between them, although Hounslow is in zone 4 and on the Piccadilly line rather than in zone 5 and dependent on NR trains.

If you're looking for a budget hotel then have a look at the Ibis Budget in Whitechapel Road. Rooms are small but it's clean, beds are comfortable and better located than Croydon. The Overground from Whitechapel will take you to Croydon via Crystal Palace or West Norwood.

There are a few Travelodges that might suit as well: try the TL Tower Hill and TL Aldgate East; even the new TL Bethnal Green may be of interest. All three are a short bus ride from Whitechapel and the Overground.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,974 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Croydon to Gatwick?

The problem with that hotel is that it's not in central Croydon. You'd have a 10 minute walk (away from central London) to West Croydon (slow trains to London) and a further 10 minutes walk or tram (including waiting time) to East Croydon for fast trains to London and Gatwick. In fact for London you'd be better off taking a bus heading north to Norbury and a (slow) train to Victoria from there.

So for your hotel location there's no advantage for a quick connection to Gatwick, nor central London. If you want to be in Croydon and have the fast transport links, then look at the Travelidge Croydon Central or the Jury's Inn, both a 5 minute walk from East Croydon. The Holiday Inn Express at Centrale is 6-8 minutes away (though there's an uphill walk).

Better overall though to take TP's advice and look for a budget hotel closer to central London.

Edited: 05 October 2013, 07:16
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,436 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Croydon to Gatwick?

There is now a Premier Inn in central Croydon, depending on your dates prices vary from £39 per night. The Ibis Styles used to be the Norfolk House Hotel that can be seen on google street view. The 64 and 198 buses will take you there from the bus stop opposite East Croydon station in around 10-15 minutes depending on time of day and traffic.

6. Re: Croydon to Gatwick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:19