We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near shopping - Mayfair?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
220 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near shopping - Mayfair?

We have a quick stopover in London for one night (arrive in the afternoon and leave the next morning) so we don't have very much time to see any attractions. We are looking for a hotel that is convenient to a tube station to get to and from the airport without too much hassle and also near shopping as I think that's all we really have time for. We have friends who live in London so other than that we will probably just visit with them over dinner.

It's a really short stop and we have both been to London before so we are saving the attractions for the next time. I was looking at the Mayfair area. Is Oxford Street where the main shopping is?

We will be there in January on a Saturday night and our budget is £170. I'm also looking into Hotwire and crossreferencing with BetterBidding's website. Just wanted to see if Mayfair is the best area for what we need?

Thank you :)

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Mayfair
Mayfair
219 Reviews
London, UK
Oxford Street
Oxford Street
4,253 Reviews
London, UK
Savage London
Gift & Speciality Shops
Broadway Market
Flea & Street Markets
Oxfam Bookshop
Gift & Speciality Shops
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,435 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near shopping - Mayfair?

Not sure what you call main shopping to be honest? Oxford street is the most infamous and crowded street in central london with many high street stores having stores along it. But you've also got regents street (similar but a little less manic), bond street for designer stores and a whole host of streets catering mainly for specific interests. What are you shopping for?

Mentioned in this post
Oxford Street
Oxford Street
4,253 Reviews
London, UK
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,219 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near shopping - Mayfair?

Depends what kind of shopping. Oxford St/Mayfair is certainly OK but you might get better value in Marylebone (north of Oxford st, esp on NYOP). You could also try Covent Garden/ for more craft and boutique type shopping and very easy by tube - direct on the Piccadilly line to Covent Gardes/Holborn.

Mentioned in this post
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Mayfair
Mayfair
219 Reviews
London, UK
Marylebone
Marylebone
134 Reviews
London, UK
Covent Garden
Covent Garden
18,938 Reviews
London, UK
Holborn
Holborn
61 Reviews
London, UK
Vancouver
Level Contributor
220 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near shopping - Mayfair?

Okay good points. I'm also not entirely sure what we are looking for. Definitely not 'high end' but we want to check out the Uniqlo store... we always love them when we travel to Asia and New York. We aren't looking for any designer stores on this trip. I think since we are short on time we just want shopping that has some 'scenery' of London life. I think I have to look up what stores are there, I'm not too familiar with London shopping and UK stores. I think I was looking at Oxford Street because Selfridges is there

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Oxford Street
Oxford Street
4,253 Reviews
London, UK
Selfridges
Selfridges
1,662 Reviews
London, UK
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,435 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near shopping - Mayfair?

I think if you want a more scenic shopping experience then Parklands suggestion of marylebone high street is a good one. It's almost a village feel to the street even though it's not far from oxford street. Many of the high street stores have smaller stores on this street plus theres some great cafes for a quick break.

Mentioned in this post
Oxford Street
Oxford Street
4,253 Reviews
London, UK
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near shopping - Mayfair?

If you're looking for Uniqlo and Selfridges then Oxford Street it is. It's busy, and many of us hate it, but it's still the best for department stores (John Lewis is good too) and branches of all the mid-market and cheap chains.

The Marble Arch/Hyde Park area is near the Western end of Oxford Street for hotels... certainly it's the closest to Selfridges, so that might suit you.

Mentioned in this post
Selfridges
Selfridges
1,662 Reviews
London, UK
Oxford Street
Oxford Street
4,253 Reviews
London, UK
John Lewis
John Lewis
555 Reviews
London, UK
The Marble Arch London
The Marble Arch London
498 Reviews
London, UK
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
17,282 Reviews
London, UK
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near shopping - Mayfair?

Shopping in London: http://www.streetsensation.co.uk/

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Vancouver
Level Contributor
220 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near shopping - Mayfair?

Thanks a lot for that link, TexScott! That's a great resource and really helpful!

Geegesh, thanks for the suggestion on Marble Arch/Hyde Park. From looking at the link provided from TexScott I think Oxford and Regent Streets are the areas we may want to check out.

Mentioned in this post
The Marble Arch London
The Marble Arch London
498 Reviews
London, UK
Hyde Park
Hyde Park
17,282 Reviews
London, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Regent's Park
Regent's Park
5,564 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near shopping - Mayfair?

Make sure you check out Carnaby Street and the surrounding areas for interesting, not desperately expensive boutiques. It runs parallel to Regent Street but is easy to miss because you need to go on side streets to get there.

Assuming that by "the airport" you mean Heathrow, I would look for a hotel along the Piccadily line. There are a lot of hotels in Bloombury/Russell Square which are walkable or a short bus/tube journey from shopping but in a slightly less frantic setting that Covent Garden/Leicester Square.

Mentioned in this post
Carnaby Street
Carnaby Street
1,190 Reviews
London, UK
Regent Street
Regent Street
1,416 Reviews
London, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Russell Square
Russell Square
496 Reviews
London, UK
Covent Garden
Covent Garden
18,938 Reviews
London, UK
Leicester Square
Leicester Square
1,551 Reviews
London, UK
Vancouver
Level Contributor
220 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel near shopping - Mayfair?

rbgs thank you for giving me a good place to start. I'm not familiar with all the lines so Piccadily sounds good. I will definitely look into Bloombury/Russell Square!

Thank you everyone for your advice and input. I love how TripAdvisor is so helpful to get a good grasp of where to focus one's planning!

Mentioned in this post
Russell Square
Russell Square
496 Reviews
London, UK
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
30,040 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel near shopping - Mayfair?

If Heathrow, stay in Bloomsbury. The 55 bus will take you to Oxford Street.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
The Bloomsbury
The Bloomsbury
3,557 Reviews
London, UK
Oxford Street
Oxford Street
4,253 Reviews
London, UK