We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping customs in UK

Asheville, North...
14 posts
Save Topic
Tipping customs in UK

I am just wondering what the standard tipping protocol is in the UK. In the US, most people tip 15-20% of the final check at a restaurant/bar (especially, if you want to go there again). I found the tripadvisor guide on tipping in the UK, which says, "Bartenders in pubs and bars do not expect to be tipped."

I assume this is true, but can someone confirm this for me? I've just been brought up to leave a tip and would feel really weird walking out of a bar/restaurant only paying the bill (with no tip).

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Tipping customs in UK

My parents ran a hotel on the Isle of Wight in the early 1960s. There was a 12.5% service charge added to all bills. My parents' hotel was by no means unique in doing this.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,268 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Tipping customs in UK

I often wonder if the posters who ask these questions about tipping ever come here or get put off by the er, some of the opinions, expressed. I don't recall any coming back on to the forum to feedback on either tipping or their trip....

(I am as Owl, FWIW).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Tipping customs in UK

The minimum wage in the US is determined by the individual states. Employees in jobs that rely on tips have a significantly lower minimum wage (something like $2 or 3 compared to $8-10 for others) because tips are expected to make up the difference. I am not saying I agree with the system.

rbgs, that makes sense and I do understand why it's frustrating for people that visit the US. I would love if we adopted a different system but we can't even get our government to go to work these days so unlikely it will change.

54. Re: Tipping customs in UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 January 2016, 20:42
Edited: 12 January 2016, 20:42
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Tipping customs in UK

"the fact that it is automatically added would make most people feel extremely uncomfortable with having it removed"

I get the service charge removed more than I pay it.

If the restaurant want to charge me an extra 12.5% then put the prices up, just don't pretend it is something it is not.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,430 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Tipping customs in UK

^^^ This

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Tipping customs in UK

rachelnyc

I think the key difference is in the reasoning behind the 'tip'. In most of the rest of the world it is understood that the origin and purpose of tipping is to encourage good service. North America seems to be unique in that it isn't a 'tip' but a wage top-up paid direct from consumer to staff-member.

So, in the UK, if someone decides to leave a few quid tip or pay the added %, or not, they can do so in the knowledge that the person is still getting paid a basic subsistence wage and will be able to pay their rent at the end of the month. In the US etc the attitude towards tipping is such that not tipping substantially is akin to stealing someone's wages.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Tipping customs in UK

Thanks David. That is the best explanation I have heard. While it's something I've grown up with and it's ingrained in our culture, I can understand why others feel this way.

59. Re: Tipping customs in UK

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 22:05
60. Re: Tipping customs in UK

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 22:05