We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery shopping tips at Spitalfields, please

Helsinki
2 posts
Save Topic
Grocery shopping tips at Spitalfields, please

TA has been a great help once again while planning my family's (me, husband and our children who are 10, 15 and 17) autumn break in London. Thank you all! We've rented a flat on Princelet Street, Spitalfields. Most of the itenary is sorted out and we even managed to get a London Greeter to meet us on Saturday.

But know I would need some practical tips. We'll arrive on Friday evening and need to stock some basic grocery stuff like fruit, vegetables, milk, natural yogurt, bread, butter etc. Can anybody advise where to find a grocery shop near Princelet Street? And does somebody have good tips of good cafes or restaurants in the area to eat in or take away? We eat almost anything and love to try new flavors.

Level Contributor
2,624 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery shopping tips at Spitalfields, please

Hello enjoy your trip. I hope you will post a trip report when you get back since I have similar aged children. Thank you

California
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery shopping tips at Spitalfields, please

There is a Tesco Express at 116 Commercial Street, which is pretty close. They'll have what you need for the initial basics. There is a larger Tesco on Bishopsgate, just south of Liverpool Street station. We've often stayed at an apartment at 196 Bishopsgate and found everything we needed at that Tesco. Have a great trip!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,427 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery shopping tips at Spitalfields, please

There is a reasonable sized Tesco Metro supermarket just opposite Liverpool Street station.

The places google maps identifies as closer to your flat are more mini-marts/convenience stores than actual supermarkets and the prices will likely be higher and quality lower than Tescos. There is an organic market in Comemrcial Road that I've never been in but looks nicer than your average mini-mart.

Note also that the main British supermarkets will deliver orders for low/no cost. Try the Tesco, Ocado, Waitrose and Sainsburys websites.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,427 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery shopping tips at Spitalfields, please

As for places to eat nearby, the St John is worth a try for adventurous eaters. It's traditional British food but bills itself as "nose to tail eating", meaning any part of an animal might be served.

You are also near the curry restaurants of Brick Lane and the more highly recommended Tayyabs in Fieldgate Street.

London, England
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery shopping tips at Spitalfields, please

You will be spoilt for choice for places to eat and drink. Loads of bars and restaurants catering for all budgets. You will find small shops open all night.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery shopping tips at Spitalfields, please

Large Sainsbury's sainsburys.co.uk/sol/…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery shopping tips at Spitalfields, please

The Tesco Express in Whitechapel Road has been mentioned along with the Tesco Metro in Fieldgate Street, across from the Whitechapel Bell Foundry.

Neither are a patch on the Sainsbury's Tex mentioned above. If you don't want to walk back from the shop with bags of groceries, take the 254 towards Aldgate from stop R in Cambridge Heath Road: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/whit… and tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/aldg…

There are three branches of M&S Simply Food at Liverpool Street station; one on the mezzanine, one on the main concourse and another in the arcade of shops at Liverpool Street itself. There is also a well stocked Waitrose in Vaughan Way just off The Highway; the number 100 will take you there: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/towe…

Helsinki
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery shopping tips at Spitalfields, please

Thank you all! Great help and great ideas. TravellerPlus your knowledge of buses is unbelivable.

rbgs, I reserved a table at Tayyabs for one night and St John's idea of "nose to tail eating" sounds just wonderfull. They even seem to have a Bread and Wine shop around the corner of Princelet street.

Chitownbigcityfan, I try to write a short trip report when we come back if you think it would be interesting.

I'm so excited. We're leaving tomorrow heading to Oxford for first night.

9. Re: Grocery shopping tips at Spitalfields, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2014, 05:19