We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Football in August 2013

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Football in August 2013

Hello- We are planning on a London vacation in August and would like to go to a football game. There was a previous question regarding football matches in July and many of the answers were that the season was over at that point. Our dates are not set in stone but are hoping to be there either the week before Aug 9 or the week after (daughter wants to go to Summer in the City so we are trying to work around those dates and want to find something as exciting for our son).

I guess my question is- do you know exactly when the season begins and how easy/hard will it be to get tickets? I have tried to look up online but cannot find anything that far out yet....Thank you!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Football in August 2013

Tammi,

August 2013 was a great month for football, but alas it's gone. Perhaps you mean 2014? :-)

We obviously won't know for sure who's playing who until nearer the time (around mid June). But, based on this season, the Football League (Championship, League 1 and League 2) started the first weekend in August, and the Premier League started the third weekend. There are also pre-season friendlies, and quite possibly an England International game just before the Premier League starts.

Check back mid June. Hopefully I'll still be updating my spreadsheet of games in London.

https:/…

Edited: 10 October 2013, 03:09
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Football in August 2013

Don't forget that 2014 is World Cup year ( Brazil are the hosts ) so that may well affect the timings of the Uk domestic leagues for season 2014/15.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Football in August 2013

^^^^ True, and I haven't seen dates announced.

However, the 2010 WCF was on July 11 and the following Premier League kicked off on August 14, and the Championship on August 6.

The 2014 World Cup ends on July 13.

If you plan to be in London the week after August 9, there'll definitely be something on. Leyton Orient in the Championship perhaps? :-)

Edited: 10 October 2013, 07:02
Boston...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Football in August 2013

Thank you! Yes, I did mean 2014! OK, i am thinking best to plan to start our vacation around the 9th instead of the other way around! Thanks for the info. (I was hoping to get my son tic's for a match and give them for Christmas but sounds like that won't be able to happen).

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Football in August 2013

It won't. Fixtures for the 2014/15 season are not released until mid June 2014. We won't actually know which divisions teams will be in until the end of May 2014.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Football in August 2013

Tickets don't go on sale until around 6 weeks before the game, unless you buy a package from Thomas Cook Sports.

Don't buy from any other third party as you could get stung.

The bigger games will hardly ever have seats on sale to non-members, so don't go building his hopes up!

When the fixture lists come out in June, they may still change the dates of some of the games for TV coverage.

Boston...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Football in August 2013

Do you know if there are games during the week or just weekends? Are the stadiums mostly accessible by bus/tube?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Football in August 2013

"Do you know if there are games during the week or just weekends?"

There are games at weekends, and some (probably most) midweeks. Although it depends which team(s) you have in mind and which division(s) they play in. Though that early in the season the midweek games would be few and far between. I would wait and see what shows up on the fixture list.

Most London clubs' stadiums are accessible by tube, train or bus. They are not all in zones 1 or 2 though.

Edited: 12 October 2013, 05:33
9. Re: Football in August 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 05:17