We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sotheby: visiting an auction

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
151 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Sotheby: visiting an auction

Dear all,

I'm interested in seeing/visiting an auction at Sotheby's London. I'm afraid I'm not rich enough to give a bid but I'm interested in seeing what's going there. Can I go there without any allowance/ticket? Has anyboy been there?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
458 reviews
from US$105.30*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.00*
US$334.40
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sotheby: visiting an auction

I have, and yes, you can. Definitely go!

I've been to an auction at the New Bond St venue. I only stayed for a short while but it was interesting to see. On auction day there are plenty of people to show you where the auction rooms are. The New Bond St venue also has a cafe in you want to eat there.

I've also been to look at items on display a few days before an auction at the Sth Kensington venue. Again, people are there to help and no one will make you feel unwelcome.

The only thing to note is that when I wanted to look at the jewellery, the area was closed off and you needed a tag to go in that room. This is only because they want to limit the number of people looking at jewellery at the one time.

I would also add that you should never be wary of going into any of the galleries that sell art. There is some excellent work on display and I've had some great conversations with people in the galleries...and not only about the artworks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sotheby: visiting an auction

Christies in st James is also worth visiting on viewing days. I often go at lunchtime you just walk in, interesting also to see the estimated price next to the item.

3. Re: Sotheby: visiting an auction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 05:19