We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A magical introduction day in London!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
A magical introduction day in London!

Hi all! I would be visiting your lovely country two weeks from now as part of an art fellowship.

I would be reaching Heathrow from Singapore at 7am on the 25th October. Has been placed at Travelodge London Central Aldgate East Hotel for lodging for the week onwards. The programme would start on the 26th of October so I have a full Friday to take in London as virgin trip to Europe.

What would you all recommend if you were in my place? Of course I would love to do usual sightseeing since I am a visual artist but with so much your city has to offer and just one day to spend before the programme kicks in and I would only have the nights, where do you reckon I should go to "feel" London and snap some pretty pictures? I would prolly prefer convenience and safety first since I would possibly be roaming around alone.

Thanks all in advance for your suggestions! Can't wait :)

Best,

Iskandar

hfx
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A magical introduction day in London!

if it's nice day go on the London Eye and then walk around the Westminster area, maybe take a bus tour around London.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,927 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A magical introduction day in London!

I second the first post about walking round Westminster. The Thames, Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and my constant favourite, the lower reaches of the Westminster Tube Station, just scream "I'm in London!". No matter how many times I visit, this area is my big treat.

Enjoy!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,763 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A magical introduction day in London!

A good walking tour that includes most of the main sights for free can be started in Piccadilly Circus, then walk along to Leicester Square and then down to Trafalgar Square.

From there walk through Admiralty Arch and along the Mall, past Clarence House and to Buckingham Palace.

Walk back through St James's Park to Westminster to the the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben.

Then walk back along Whitehall, past Downing Street and Horse Guards Parade back to Trafalgar Square.

You should still have plenty of time to catch an old Routemaster "London Bus" on route #15 past St Pauls Cathedral to Tower Hill where you can see the Tower of London (free from the outside, but pay to get in), Tower Bridge, and the River Thames from where you get a good view of HMS Belfast and the Shard.

Of course, there are lots more things to see and do, such as a walk around the West End, Chinatown, Soho and Carnaby Street; a visit to a museum or art gallery etc - but I think the tour I suggested will give you a good overview of the main sights.

Enjoy! ;-)

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A magical introduction day in London!

wow thank you so much guys for the suggestions.

Matt- I will totally print this itinerary and give it a go. Gonna add a visit to Primark to get some stuff somewhere. Proper excited!

Can anyone confirm with me if this London I'll be staying at Chamber Street is far from the main attractions? I tried googling it seems quite away by itself, yea?

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A magical introduction day in London!

Here is a walk round Westminster that takes in most of the sites including Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, London Eye and much much more beside.

As he says, if you "rushed" round you could do it in a hour or so, but there is so much to see that you could easily spend a day walking round this area.

This area is the centre of English government (10 Downing St), church (Westminster Abbey) and royal family (Buckingham Palace) so there is a huge amount of history in the area.

I always say this area it is the "beating heart" of London.

londontoolkit.com/walks/whitehall_walk_westm…

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A magical introduction day in London!

Chambers Street is right at the extreme eastern side of what you might call Central London. Any further east and you are heading into the East End with it's high Asian population, loads of new professional apartment blocks and eventually, Canary Wharf financial district.

You are about 4 or 5 miles from Harrods if that's your thing.

Good transport links from the area with the District and Circle Lines from Tower Hill and a number of buses for the more scenic route. Especially the number 15 which will take you through the City and into the West End past Fleet Street, Trafalgar Square and the Tower of London

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A magical introduction day in London!

Thanks for the extra responses. Pretty much got me prepared. Nah, Harrods is far from my thing.

I am actually loooking to find awesome fleas if possible, that would be a dream since I cancelled on my Paris trip with its fleas. Any recommendations that could fit into this plan?

Plus, if you don't mind, I am Muslim and I would love to attend the Friday prayers in London so would there be any mosque within the vicinity of the "beating heart" of London? Don't know if it is safe with my camera bags and all though hmm.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A magical introduction day in London!

Fleas?

What on earth do you mean!

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A magical introduction day in London!

Flea markets! HAHAHA My bad.

London
Level Contributor
838 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A magical introduction day in London!

Not sure of any mosques in the "beating heart" of London but you aren't far from the East London Mosque in Whitechapel http://www.eastlondonmosque.org.uk/

There is also a mosque near Regents Park