We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions Reply

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, il.
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Questions Reply

Wow!! I'm sorry I did not explain myself. No, we will not be staying at Buckingham Palace!!

We would like to stay around the area there if possible??

I'm from Chicago and the "downtown" area is the inter city where the highlights of

the city are.

Question on money?? You can travel outside the U.S. and still use U.S. currency.

Mexico, Costa Rica, Aruba etc. so sorry if I affended anyone.

I'm a newbie to the advisor for London would like all the info, I can get!!!!

Thanks,

Chicago

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Questions Reply

I think that it is a wind-up too, 'downtown England'??

And the thought that US dollars could be spent in a nation that bared its bulldog teeth when hanging onto GBP despite all the bullying of the Eurozone.

Sorry Chicago, nice try but no cigar.

London
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Questions Reply

Yes. Thank you Gordon Brown for keeping us out of the Euro. Well done sir!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Questions Reply

I have kept out of this debate but I can see that this post has riled some people.

My gut feeling is this post is not a wind up but has come from someone who is not well travelled or done any research about this trip. It is possible that naivety comes into this and if so then the OP is going to feel rather ridiculous by now.

I didn't take offence at "downtown England". It just made me laugh and made me wonder where "midtown" or "uptown" might be.

As for the currency comment, it isn't the first time we have been asked and won't be the last.

At least tipping wasn't mentioned!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,396 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Questions Reply

Monroeessex – I had the same thought. Why would the country that refused to adopt the Euro accept US Dollars at all of its stores?

Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Questions Reply

Some people have given you good advice on the thread, and I am sure you must have inadvertently typed England when you meant London. Most of the main tourist sites like Buckingham Palace, British Museum, Trafalgar Square, etc. are in zone 1 (whereas Heathrow is in zone 6 to give you an idea of how the city is configured) so there are plenty of great areas for hotels that you can stay in. Look at a map of central London and pick an area that appeals to you (you might visit Buckingham Palace for one day, but don't think you necessarily need to stay in Westminster to enjoy all that the city has to offer because transport links are fantastic here). If you state your preferred area and budget in pounds, people can give you more definitive ideas.

FYI - TA's guide to the various boroughs: tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g186338-s204/London:Un… and Frommer's guide to maps: frommers.com/destinations/london/55_maps.html

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Questions Reply

I dont think this is a wind up - more likley naivety (or laziness). On the Paris forum the OP asked - '...flyimg into Paris and have family in Villemomble ,France. What is the distance? '

The best reply suggested he emailed his family and asked them !

47. Re: Questions Reply

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 05:17