We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip from London to Glasgow in January/2014

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Roadtrip from London to Glasgow in January/2014

Hello,

I´m planning a roadtrip from London to Glasgow in January/2014.

That's my first time in Britain and I wish to see the landscape and the typical villages or small cities.

My wife wants to stop in Liverpool.

Which route do you suggest for us?

It's worthwile this trip? or it's preferrable doing it by train, bus or airplane?

It will be dangerous because of the snow?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip from London to Glasgow in January/2014

How long have you got to do this? Visiting small villages en route could take days (or weeks) via detours. Otherwise it's a slog on a particularly tedious, congested and jam prone motorway. I'd look into travelling at least to Liverpool by train if that's somewhere you want to go and either hiring a car from there travelling via the Lake District or getting a train to some other northern point then onto Glasgow, where btw you should allow some time for the Scottish landscape, villages etc.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip from London to Glasgow in January/2014

Also bear in mind that days are short in January so it's not just weather conditions that might make driving a bit of a pain (although the aforesaid Lake District is superb in winter if the hills are snow capped and the weather clear.).

Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip from London to Glasgow in January/2014

Parkland, first of all, thank you for your answer.

We will have just eleven days in Britain, 5 of those for visiting my nephew in Glasgow and the others for simple tourism. The purpose of this road trip was to enjoy the landscape and to experience the inner culture.

As London has many great things to do, we tend to spend no more than 2 days going to Glasgow and 1 day returning to London.

London, United...
Level Contributor
958 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roadtrip from London to Glasgow in January/2014

I live on the edge of north London and can drive to Glasgow in around six hours so add another 45/60 mins depending where you are staying. I go A1 to Scotch Corner and then across to Penrith, followed by M6 and M74. This route is less tedious than the motorway and from around Doncaster is reasonably interesting until Scotch Corner and is then fabulous until Glasgow. To stop in Liverpool would mean M1 and then M6 - mind-numbing motorway until you reach Liverpool. With two days going and one coming back you are not likely to see villages or anymore than one city. My route will mean some landscape but missing Liverpool. Unless you really enjoy driving I would get the train. If you are driving I would suggest stopping in Penrith on way up or maybe York or possibly one of a multitude of villages. Or Liverpool if you wish to forego scenery. As for 'inner culture', try Bothwell Services, just south of Glasgow.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roadtrip from London to Glasgow in January/2014

If you've only got two days then I would train to Liverpool (Virgin trains take about 2 hours, Advance (cheapest) fares released about 12 weeks ahead; register on the site for alerts). Pick up car and go via Lake District and possibly Northern Pennines with some great landscapes and towns like Appleby (see local tourist guides for more info and on to Glasgow via Borders country. I would also do a one way hire and come back by train. There are overnight trains from Glasgow which will buy you some time, or fly home whether direct or with a connection (protected) in London.

Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roadtrip from London to Glasgow in January/2014

Thank you. This suggestion seems to be the best option. Probably I'll use it.

Motherwell
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Roadtrip from London to Glasgow in January/2014

"As for 'inner culture', try Bothwell Services, just south of Glasgow."

:oD

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roadtrip from London to Glasgow in January/2014

I think that Answer 5 sounds like your best option. A train to Liverpool from London and then if you wish a day's drive to Glasgow. You may even wish to keep the hire car to have day trips out from Glasgow if that fits in with your plans. Then later fly or train back to London for the last few days of your trip.

Yes you may get some snow although the odds are against it but you can always alter your plans when you are here and leave out the hire car if the weather forecast is very bad.

Manchester
Level Contributor
780 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roadtrip from London to Glasgow in January/2014

It is a long drive from London to Glasgow. Snow is not an issue - the motorways will be clear whatever. The views are stunning - especially north of Lancaster. Be sure to detour to New Lanark (a world heritage site just off the motorway). So M6/M62 to LIverpool then M6/M74 to Glasgow.

You would also see the scenery by rail with less stress. Book well in advance for best prices.

Better still, train up, fly back (flights are cheap).

10. Re: Roadtrip from London to Glasgow in January/2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 04:17