We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need to be at Paddington Station for a 7:30 train...

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
712 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
I need to be at Paddington Station for a 7:30 train...

HI.

My husband and I are going to need to be at Paddington Station on Dec 9th (it's a Monday), so that we can get on a train that is departing at 7:30. What time do you advise we arrive at the station? Considering it's early morning and a Monday, I assume we need to allow for a lot of time because of possible traffic, etc. I'm not at all familiar with London traffic on a Monday morning so any help would be VERY much appreciated.

Also, I was thinking about booking a hotel room near the station so that we can fight less traffic. Is the area around Paddington Station an area that you might recommend staying? We'll be staying in London several days prior to our train reservations.

Thanks!!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,232 reviews
from US$140.37*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,955 reviews
from US$144.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
512 reviews
from US$97.71*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
813 reviews
from US$97.71*
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,246 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need to be at Paddington Station for a 7:30 train...

Do you need to buy your train tickets once you arrive at Paddington or will you already have them?

Where in London will you be coming from and will you take the tube from there to the station? Most tubes begin around 05.00 on a weekday.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,399 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need to be at Paddington Station for a 7:30 train...

>>> train that is departing at 7:30. What time do you advise we arrive at the station? <<<

07.29 at the very latest, as it will be taken off the indicators then to ensure it isn't delayed by people rushing up at the last minute.

>>> We'll be staying in London several days prior to our train reservations. <<<

If you tell us where in London we can tell you if you need to relocate for one night prior to catching your train. Although the answer is: 'probably not'.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,900 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need to be at Paddington Station for a 7:30 train...

If you've already booked a hotel in London there is no need to rebook for one night 'near the station' unless the hotel you've booked is on the fringes of Epping Forest or in Beckton.

The train will be ready for boarding at about 0710 - 0715, and if you've booked seats you shouldn't need to be at the station before 0700.

Road traffic may not enter the picture at all, as London has a substantial transport network, removing the need to 'fight traffic' unless you decide to take a taxi from your hotel.

If you've not booked a hotel, period, then please let us know your budget in pounds (use www.xe.com for the exchange calculation), how many nights you'll stay in London, whether you need a room for two adults or for a family, and whether you'll return from your Paddington adventure to London or carry on from that unknown destination.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
712 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need to be at Paddington Station for a 7:30 train...

Hmm. First, thank you both for the responses!

We will already have the train tickets when we arrive at Paddington Station.

I have yet to make hotel reservations. I was trying to plan a hotel around the need to be at Paddington early. I like the idea of relocating for the night before the train. I think we'll just do that. Thank you both so much for your help!

I just hate to assume to that traffic is the same in every city and I don't want us to miss our train.

Thanks again!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
712 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need to be at Paddington Station for a 7:30 train...

Wow, TravellerPlus, you are so generous to offer that help.

We are two adults who plan to arrive in London on the 3rd or 4th of December. We'll only need one room. We will be heading to Newquay on the 9th and returning to London on the 12th. We'll probably be leaving for home (Dallas, Texas USA), on the 15th of December.

The only thing written in stone right now is our Newquay plans. I enjoy taking advantage of staying in multiple parts of a city so we'd definitely like to be in different hotels in London before and after Newquay. We are the kind of travelers who are more interested in experiencing a city and culture as opposed to going down a list, checking off all of the tourist spots.

Our budget is about 125-150 pounds a night.

Thanks so much for your help! I'm especially glad to know that Paddington won't be too crazy in the morning. I was afraid we would need to get there an hour early or so because of crowds and people who commute for work.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,900 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need to be at Paddington Station for a 7:30 train...

Thank you for the information.

The first week of December is busy, but there are bargains available at the Premier Inn Kensington in Knaresborough Place. The rates vary during your dates of stay, but some nights are available from £60, making the nights at the higher rate a bargain.

Premier Inns are good quality mid-range chain hotels, and the Knaresborough Place property is well situated. It's 30 minutes from Heathrow on the Underground - with lifts to and from the Piccadilly line platforms - and about 15 minutes from Paddington on the District line, with step free access all the way if you use the mid platform lifts at Earl's Court station and the way out to the Lawn ticket hall at Paddington.

The PI is at most three minutes' walk from Earl's Court station, including the time needed to wait for the traffic signal to change. The rooms are a good size, many have baths as well as showers - it's a good hotel overall.

Have a look and see what you think. If that PI doesn't suit, try the Hotel Indigo in Barkston Gardens or perhaps the Best Western Burns, also in Barkston Gardens.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
712 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I need to be at Paddington Station for a 7:30 train...

Thank you so much! I'm going to start researching those suggestions right now. I really appreciate your help. I haven't been to London in ten years so this is all a bit overwhelming but I'm so happy that everyone is so helpful and kind on this website.

Thanks again!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,006 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I need to be at Paddington Station for a 7:30 train...

The Tune up the road is cheap and clean.

www.tunehotels.com/paddington

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
562 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I need to be at Paddington Station for a 7:30 train...

We stayed at the Cleveland Hotel on Cleveland Square, which was about halfway between Paddington Station and Bayswater Station. It was an easy walk to both, as well as to Hyde Park and Queensway Rd, where there were restaurants & stores.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I need to be at Paddington Station for a 7:30 train...

At 730 am Paddington is busy but by no mean rammed, at 715 which is fine for you to be there as teh train probably wont be on the platform until then, its reasonably quiet. At 700 which you might decide to aim for, for prudence sake, it will be very quiet.

Unless you cant manage your luggage there is no need to be "fighting traffic" by which I presume you mean a cab, take the tube, which at say 645-700 when you are travelling, will be hardly anyone around and the roads are quiet as well. If you got there at 630, your original plan, you'd think the residents of London had fled :-)

So there is no need whatsoever as TP says, to relocate for the night, unless you picked a hotel which by definition would be very awkwardly placed for everywhere else in London as well.