We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to East Croydon train travel New Years Eve.

benidorm
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
London to East Croydon train travel New Years Eve.

Hi, I'm going to London to watch the firework at New Years Eve. I will be travelling back to East Croydon from Victoria afterwards, but am wondering if there is any point in actually reserving a seat on the train or just hop on. If I buy a ticket up front, does this guarantee me a place on the train? Also, if anyone has any ideas of the best place for me to get a tube to Victoria, as I'm assuming Westminster will be packed, and any special hidey holes to watch the fireworks from I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks! :)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to East Croydon train travel New Years Eve.

There are no seat reservations on the trains to/from East Croydon. You just hop on. And as East Croydon is in the London travel zones (z5) you can use Oyster and travelcards (a one day travelcard for Dec 31 is valid until 4.30am Jan 1). There may also be free transport for that night (out of London), though check as it may only extend to the tubes, buses and DLR.

Do check on the availability of trains after midnight. There are some, usually an hourly service every day through the night. But these serve Gatwick, and the tracks/lines are closed south of East Croydon through the Holiday period until January 2. I'd expect some services to be running.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,893 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to East Croydon train travel New Years Eve.

The police close most central tube stations on NYE just after midnight for safety reasons. I'd bank on walking to Victoria station plus not sure where you are watching the fireworks but embankment and trafalgar will be jammed so if there allow another hour plus to leave.

benidorm
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to East Croydon train travel New Years Eve.

Thank you both for your replies. There are trains running to East Croydon, but assumed the daily travel card would expire at midnight, so that's good to know. I was hoping to get along embankment or Waterloo Bridge and perhaps go check out the area the day before to see if there are any side streets that might not be too busy. Although I expect everywhere will be packed. Never mind, at least I'll be warm! : )

benidorm
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to East Croydon train travel New Years Eve.

Ohhh hold on...tracks closed until 2nd? I'm flying from Gatwick on the 2nd early in the morning. I was going to book a 5am train from E Croydon. Where did you get that info please, so I can see if they're running again at that time. i'd checked when I booked the hotel that trains run through the night, but didn't see anything at that time re lines being closed.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,893 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to East Croydon train travel New Years Eve.

FYI - There are side streets away from embankment that you can move in (like infront of royal horse guards hotel) but the whole area is fenced off for security so you'll need to be in there before 8pm as the police close it after that and you'll not see anything!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,968 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to East Croydon train travel New Years Eve.

According to the national rail website the trains are running on the 2nd and will take from 14mins to Gatwick. Keep an eye on the …nationalrail.co.uk/service/…search nearer the time to check they will be ok. The FCC ticket is £4.50 with Southern at £4.90, although the ticket office at EC is open 24/7 I'd pick up a ticket the day before if you are close by any train station - no need to pre-book.

benidorm
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to East Croydon train travel New Years Eve.

Brilliant! Thanks for your help everyone! I really appreciate it.

8. Re: London to East Croydon train travel New Years Eve.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 05:18