We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TIckets for attractions

Plattsburgh, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
TIckets for attractions

Should we buy tickets for the major attractions ahead of our visit? What is a good site to use?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TIckets for attractions

No - many of the major/best attractions are free.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,000 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TIckets for attractions

Which ones are you considering? You can save a little money by booking some paid attractions directly in advance but for something like the London Eye you will be tied to a set time and day which may turn out to be a wet and miserable one thus wasting your money/

And that is before we get to the 2for1's - http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

More information please.

Plattsburgh, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TIckets for attractions

Since I have never been to London, I want to see all that I can in 6 days. Tops on our list are:Tower of London, British Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum and Westminister Abbey We aren't into art so skipping any galleries. And, we are open to any suggestions

Plattsburgh, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TIckets for attractions

I'm really not understanding the 2 for 1 travel card. Some posts and websites say good for train only and attractions. Others say good for underground too. Going to spend the day doing more researach

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TIckets for attractions

scooter - the 2for1 is available with either rail tickets OR a paper travelcard for London transport issued by a national rail station. Given that some of your list are free so no tickets can be bought anyway and others like the Tower are on it, it is the way to go.

The only things that should be booked ahead due to limited availability are Buckingham Palace State room tours (when available), Harry Potter studio tours, Parliament tours and some theatre tickets for very 'hot' productions.. Anything else can be bought here with minimum hassle and must be to take advantage of the 2for1.

Read more on this article:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c195600/Londo…

Edited: 13 October 2013, 16:21
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
269 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TIckets for attractions

Most museums are Free and don't require a ticket -the British and V& A are Free

Plattsburgh, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TIckets for attractions

I guess I am. just dense- still wondering if I can use the 2 for 1 on the tube

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,000 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TIckets for attractions

No, you will each need your own ticket or Oyster Card.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: TIckets for attractions

>>>still wondering if I can use the 2 for 1 on the tube<<<

You won't get a 2-4-1 discount when you buy the travelcards, if that is what you are asking.

IF you mean, "Can I use a travelcard to pay for the use of the tube and buses?" The answer is yes, you will each buy a 7 day travelcard for Zones 1-2 from a National Rail Station (note: this is not a train ticket - it is a travelcard that pays for unlimited tube and bus travel in Zones 1-2 of central London). It is in effect the same travelcard you would buy on an Oyster Card (but Oyster Cards can not be used to get the 2-4-1 admissions discounts).

Edited: 14 October 2013, 19:27
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TIckets for attractions

you can use the same tube (and bus and all other London transport) providing you buy the right type of travelcard (one for each adult travelling) and take advantage of the offers. As described. It is a discount on admission to sites and attractions not a discount on tube and other transport travel.

Edited: 14 October 2013, 19:31