We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to London - need to get bus to work - HELP!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North West
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
moving to London - need to get bus to work - HELP!

Moving to Kingston in Jan I will need to get bus to Wimbledon and back again. The 57 seems a good route but how do I buy a monthly pass?!?! Confused by the oyster card bit. I will only be using this route and won't want to travel any other. Any ideas how much this will cost?

Thanks x

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to London - need to get bus to work - HELP!

If you are only going to make the trip once a day each way use PAYG Oyster at £1.40 a ride

A monthly pass is £75.30 to cover virtually all buses in London. It will be loaded onto an Oyster card - to which you could add money for the occasional tube or train etc trip

You can buy it at a tube station but not at Kingston station (unless it's been upgraded very recently). There will be Oyster ticket stops - generally in newsagents and the like - near the station though

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,834 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to London - need to get bus to work - HELP!

Another bus option is the # 131.

Both the # 57 and 131 start in Kingston and go through Wimbledon.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: moving to London - need to get bus to work - HELP!

It is also possible to get the train from Kingston to Wimbledon.

There are four trains per hour and the journey takes about 15 minutes, which will be a lot less than the bus.

A travelcard for the appropriate zones (3-6) will cost £116 per month.

If you have an Oyster card you could load it with a monthly bus pass and some additional credit which would enable to take the train on the odd occasion if you felt like it. The single fare from Wimbledon to Kingston is £3.20 in the peak, and £2.20 off peak.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: moving to London - need to get bus to work - HELP!

Re: 57 or 131 buses - the 131 route tends (on my occasional experience) to be more prone to traffic hold ups, but probably worth experimenting with both (assuming they are equally convenient for your eventual destination)

Edited: 13 October 2013, 18:54
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,382 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: moving to London - need to get bus to work - HELP!

I question whether you will indeed never take a trip on public transport other than the journey to/from work. Although you can get an annual bus pass, I would get a monthly in the first instance and see what your travel patterns are like in practice. A bus pass loaded on to an Oyster card with some PAYG money to cover other journeys may well be your best bet. On the other hand, you may find the bus route ridiculously slow and be glad to pay the extra for a travelcard that allows you to use the trains instead/in addition

6. Re: moving to London - need to get bus to work - HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 05:18