We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for photo of the Gherkin building?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
353 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Best place for photo of the Gherkin building?

Londoners --

What's the best street location to take a good photo of the Gherkin building? Closest tube station?

Thanks!

Rick in Maryland

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for photo of the Gherkin building?

I like the juxtaposition of the Swiss Re (alternate name) with the Tower of London, taken from the approach of Tower Bridge at the side of the Tower. Alternatively, there's a good view of the Swiss Re from Hay's Galleria, plain or framed by the ornate arched ceiling of the Galleria. It's also in the view of Tower Bridge from Butler's Wharf. This particular view makes a good nighttime shot, too. It is photogenic, isn't it?

All 3 of these views are accessible from Tower Hill tube station.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for photo of the Gherkin building?

I aree with britfan, the best place is along the south bank of the Thames between Tower Bridge and London bridge. The problem with tryng to get close to it is that the narrow streets of the City make it difficult to get it all in from close up. if you want to try though then go to Leadenhall Street (nearest tubes Bank or Monument) and there is a bit of a square just outside of the Lloyd's building that may give you more space to take pictures.

If you go to the link below, you will see photos i took from the South bank of the thames that include the Gherkin. I quite like the one where it is frames by the 2 towers ot Tower bridge. There are also pictures from other parts of the South Bank that have a more sweeping shot of the City that include the Gherkin:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38269014@N00/176499017/in/set-72157594179615138/

London
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for photo of the Gherkin building?

Have to agree the South Bank is a good place to get the best view. It really depends on the type of shot you are after. You could try walking towards the building and see what shots you can get but as advised the narrow streets do make getting a clean shot difficult.

Also if your down on the Southbank you can photograph the London Assembly Building, Tower Bridge and if you walk down to Tate Modern the view of St. Pauls is great.

flickr.com/photos/…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for photo of the Gherkin building?

This shot was taken nearby the Fenchurch St. train station.

worldisround.com/articles/296601/photo48.html

It was also fun standing right below it and taking shots from various angles. You get a different appreciation of the architecture when you're that close to it.

Good shots also from top the wall inside the Tower of London.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for photo of the Gherkin building?

we got a neat shot of the gherkin while at the tower of london last year. i think the best part is that there is a corner of an old building in front of it with the new building behing...a nice contrast of old and new.

the same company who built the gherkin is now building a tower here in vancouver (literally 2 buildings over from my office)...they're keeping the fronts of the old buildings and building the new part 'behind' them. it will be nice to see how this develops over time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for photo of the Gherkin building?

is the Gherkin famous around the world now? Its certainly a welcome addition to the London skyline, unlike the 200m monstrosity about to be built next to Vauxhall Bridge

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for photo of the Gherkin building?

i'm not sure if it's known around the world but it's definitely something you won't soon forget once you've seen it. the name is catchy too! the developers seem to have unique buildings around the world...next time i'm near their display i'll see where the others are located.

Maryland
Level Contributor
353 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place for photo of the Gherkin building?

Thanks, everyone -- great ideas, and I appreciate the advice on the various perspectives.

Not sure if it is "famous" in the US, but the London Eye and the Gherkin are now identified as part of the London scene by travel saavy people.

I always enjoy seeing the architecture of places I visit, especially the historic, and also the new/innovative. Whether you love it or hate it, the Gherkin is definitely unusual. I love the juxtaposition of the old London architecture with the 21st century London buildings.

Rick in Maryland

Maryland
Level Contributor
353 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place for photo of the Gherkin building?

Mick67 -- the photo of the Gherkin framed inside the Tower Bridge is a spectacular picture (and a bright sunny day!). Thanks for sharing.

Rick in Maryland

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place for photo of the Gherkin building?

Rick, one of the best juxtapositions is the sleek new British Library with the ultra Victorian St Pancras Station. You can see it here:

…msn.com/xrefmedia/…T304308A.jpg

I think it's actually more interesting in a closer view instead of the wide view, but you can get the idea.

And WOW! Rediproof! Are those your pictures? That night shot of the Millenium Bridge/St Paul's is one of the best I've ever seen.