We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton Court Palace

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plattsburgh, New...
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hampton Court Palace

In London and loving it. The tube is so easy and sometimes we just walk and walk! Everyone on this board has been so helpful so I would like to ask one more question. We were planning a day trip to Cambridge but have seen a lot of info on Hampton Court Palace as a day trip and sine I have always loved Tudor history am considering that instead. Is it worth giving up Cambridge for?

One of the reasons I wanted a day trip ,by train, was to see a bit of the English countryside and didn't know if I would get this on a short train ride to Hampton Court.

Have to add that London has replaced Prague as my favorite European city!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampton Court Palace

Glad you're enjoying it so much!

Personally I'd give up Cambridge for Hampton Court, especially in cold weather (Hampton Court has lovely gardens but also plenty indoors). It depends on why you wanted to see Cambridge in the first place I guess. You'll wouldn't get a huge amount of countryside on the trip to HC though.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampton Court Palace

The train to HC runs mostly through suburban housing so you wouldn't see any countryside. Mind the journey to Cambridge isn't particularly scenic either, although you will see a lot of farm land.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,009 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hampton Court Palace

The train to HCP doesn't run through any countryside, as HCP is just inside the Greater London boundary. It's all not very interesting suburbia The train to Cambridge runs through quite a lot of countryside, as that is quite a way outside of London.

As for which to choose, I can't help you I'm afraid. They're both great, so it's up to you.

Have you looked at the HCP website - http://www.hrp.org.uk/HamptonCourtPalace/ - to see what's on offer?

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,763 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hampton Court Palace

Hello! If you want to see a bit of countryside, why not just go for a train ride out and back? For example there are frequent trains to Brighton going through lovely scenery once you get out of London, journey time about 50 mins, so you could go there and back in a morning.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,488 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hampton Court Palace

Another alternative is to extend your train trip to Ely, where you will see something of Fenalnd. Not the usual sort of scenery, but lots of people enjoy the low lying flat land and huge open skies. Walk up to Ely cathedral for good views over the countryside and enjoy the riverside, then return to Cambridge.

6. Re: Hampton Court Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 06:20