We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in or out of London? Updated

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in or out of London? Updated

Will be in UK Dec 18-30. I need to reserve hotels right away, so need to figure out an itinerary. We wish to spend a few days outside of London to see the countryside, perhaps the Cotswolds, Bath. Salisbury or Oxford?

Since things and transport will be closed down right around Christmas, it seems that it would be just as well to leave London then, find a place to stay and use that as a base to drive around the countryside, go to Christmas services, and maybe take some walks. Obviously, we will need to eat. So does anyone have any ideas of where it would be best to be 'stuck' a few days for the holiday? London, a smaller town, out in the countryside?

I think if leaving London for Christmas, the ideal would be to rent a car, stop and tour sites on the way in and out of London and base ourselves somewhere pleasant for the holiday while most things are closed. We have 3 people, budget is flexible, but prefer mid-range to high-end accommodations. Any ideas?

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,682 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Christmas in or out of London? Updated

The cottage idea is appealing, as we can prepare our own food on Christmas if need be, and it would be nice to have a place to hang out a bit. I'm a bit more interested in general in Ludlow, the Cotwolds and Bath and some things on that side of London more than Rye, though I realize the weather may make that less charming than at another time of year. In part it is going to depend on where we can actually find a place to stay that isn't too expensive.

12. Re: Christmas in or out of London? Updated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 05:23