We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire - great experience

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire - great experience

After trawling the London forum whilst planning our three week holiday I read many threads that were relevant to our travel. One of the main items of our plans was a real concern to me after reading many threads about car hire. After much investigation I decided to pay the bit extra and go with Hertz. We collected the car from their Russelll Square depot. With them seeing the amount of luggage we had, they upgraded us to a station wagon rather than a hatchback, at no extra charge.

It was All hassle free and no issues upon return of the vehicle. I was concerned - I've certainly read some shocking stories on charges for non-existent damage.

I definitely think its worth paying that bit extra to get the better service and peace of mind. Happy to recommend Hertz!

I know most want a bargain when they travel but when you spend so much getting to a destination , don't let your trip be sabotaged by being 'cheap'. It could cost you in the long run.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the threads that I read. We had a blast and look forward to planning our next trip!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire - great experience

Isn't it against internet law to post complimentary and reasonable comments about car hire ?

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,410 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire - great experience

It probably is against the law to post anything positive about car hire. ;-)

I'm glad you did it though. How hard was it to get out of London from the Russell Square location? Did you have to pay the congestion charge? (I know Euston Road is the border, but I'm not sure where it goes from there.) Did you book online directly through Hertz?

london
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire - great experience

glad you had such a good trip

your experience just goes to prove the best value isn't necessarily the cheapest option, something I think we all need to remember

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire - great experience

Was beginning to wonder if it was against the law to post positive reviews - they're far outweighed by the negative!

Yes we had to pay the congestion charge, £10 each way, but Hertz added this (no additional cost) to our account. We also did not need to worry about filling the tank with gas - they told us their rate which was a few p cheaper than what we'd seen and that was added to our account too. We didn't want to be worried about finding a service station after having driven down from Merseyside in the morning to catch the Eurostar that afternoon.

We had a GPS (we bought our own from home with UK maps, although you could hire them from Hertz) and it was relatively easy to get out of London, as well as being able to see more of London on our way out.

Often I think it is false economy to go cheap and people get caught out in the end. I love cheap and always look for bargains but did t want to get pissy when I got home because we'd been pinged for something that might not have been our fault or we'd been ripped off with.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire - great experience

Whoa!!

Never thought I would see the words 'car hire' and 'great experience' in the same sentence.

Usually car hire companies make estate agents and politicians look like saints.

Great to hear good news for a change.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire - great experience

Maybe you could also consider posting this in the HERTZ forum in flyertalk?

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire - great experience

Will check out the flyertalk website.

Here's hoping that those with upcoming travel plans will read this and benefit from using a more reputable company!

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire - great experience

I rented with Hertz last Oct/Nov from Manchester Airport and also had absolutely no problems with them whatsoever. Travelling to the UK again in November this year, and will be renting with Hertz again.

9. Re: Car Hire - great experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2014, 06:20