We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the best way to get from Gatwick airport to Heathrow?

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
142 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Whats the best way to get from Gatwick airport to Heathrow?

Thanks to using British Airways avios miles, we find we have 4 hours to make a connecting flight between the two airports. Arriving Gatwick, leaving Heathrow. I've heard there is a connection possible on the tube.....true? If so, is it an easy connection? Is there a better way to connect? How much of a distance is it, and how long does it usually take?

Thx for your help, I could really use the info,

Steve

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,019 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats the best way to get from Gatwick airport to Heathrow?

Are you on one ticket?

uk
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats the best way to get from Gatwick airport to Heathrow?

hi there, with carefull planning it can be done and cheaply.

take any train to Victoria, that can 40 minute to one hour depending on the time of day/night

if you can take south east trains, they do stop but they can be upto have price of Gatwick express, tickets can be booked on line, I have paid £5.00 for a ticket,

transfer to tube, take DISTRICT LINE TO HAMMERSMITH, change to PICCADILLY, it is on the same platform, best to buy a travel card for all zones. m.

try some of the taxi companies, they will take you airport to airport at your pace, £55.00

National express do a coach service airport to airport National express www.nationalexpress.com.

If you need more details let me know but most of the information is easy to find on the web.

SAFE JOURNEY

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats the best way to get from Gatwick airport to Heathrow?

4 hours is about what I'd leave between Heathrow and Gatwick. As you say 'we' I take it there's more than one of you, in which case taxi is probably the cheapest way.

Take a look at:

www.exclusiveairports.co.uk

www.londonxairport.co.uk

www.minicabster.com

www.blueberryairports.com

www.addisonlee.co.uk

to name a few.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats the best way to get from Gatwick airport to Heathrow?

It's Southern trains from Gatwick to Victoria not South East trains. Pre-booked taxi would probably be better as it will be 'door to door' with no waiting for trains etc.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,699 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats the best way to get from Gatwick airport to Heathrow?

Do not go via London.

Either get the National express coach or book a car service. Just Airports, Simply airports and Exclusive airports are 3 which have consistently good feedback on the forum. Also try and see if you can switch your inbound flight to Heathrow, even on Avios though this will depend on routing. Your connection should be protected, if the worst happens but getting on the next available flight will be down to availability.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats the best way to get from Gatwick airport to Heathrow?

National Express Gatwick to Heathrow costs £25 per person and takes about 1 - 1.5 hours depending on terminal and times of day.

nationalexpress.com/wherewego/…index.aspx

If there are several people in your party a car service will be cheaper, faster and more convenient

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
142 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats the best way to get from Gatwick airport to Heathrow?

great responses...thx everyone. to answer everyone's questions

a.) international flight from AMS to SEA, 1 ticket trip. couldn't switch to LHR...tried. not happy with Avios at all, but I could complain about a number of airmile programs, alas.

b.) would prefer to be economical, but have just 4 hrs to make the connection. It's an international flight, so a couple of hours before hitting LHR would be my choice.

c.) two of us traveling

I understand it's only around 30mi between the two facilities. Is traffic bad enough between the two airports that public transport would be preferable, or is a cab a better option?

thx all for your help,

SJ

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,152 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whats the best way to get from Gatwick airport to Heathrow?

Traffic CAN be bad. It generally depends on time of day so a transfer during the Monday morning rush hour will take a lot longer than the same journey made at lunchtime on a weekend. Knowing your exact timings may help us a little but at busy times the car service has more options than a coach for avoiding bad traffic...as long as they themselves are not stuck in traffic.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
142 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whats the best way to get from Gatwick airport to Heathrow?

arrive Gatwick on a monday morning @ 11am, leave LHR @ 15:00. 4 hrs exactly in between, or so the schedule says.

On average, how long does the journey take between the two airports:

by train/tube:

by cab/coach:

thx, SJ

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,699 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whats the best way to get from Gatwick airport to Heathrow?

Tube is not involved. You should not go via London as mentioned. It is impossible to say exactly how long it will take because traffic is unpredictable. In your situation I would book a car service as it should be faster - say around 45 minutes, and door to door. If there are problems on the M25 the driver can at least try a different route for part of the way whereas a coach can't. It will be more than the coach but you don't really have much choice. Try the companies mentioned for quotes but I would expect them to be in the region of £60.