We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Let's talk boots in December...

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
103 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Let's talk boots in December...

Hello everyone!

I will be lucky enough to spend the week of Christmas and Boxing Day in lovely London and was just wondering what kind of boots to bring. I've heard from others that it can be icy/slushy and at the very least, quite chilly and wet. Is it sufficient to bring along a pair of waterproof leather boots or should I bring a warmer pair (such as a pair of uggs with more traction on the bottom)? Part of me abhors the idea of lugging around two pairs of boots on my trip, but the other part of me would rather bring a pair I know I'll be comfortable in than shell out a ton of money purchasing a pair while I'm there.

Your wisdom and experience are much appreciate. Thank you for your help!

Cheers,

Cathy

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Let's talk boots in December...

Cici - no need to "fit in" - wear what you like. You'll find London has every kind of style, as does Paris to some extent. And if you still feel the need to fit in, leave some room in your suitcase and go shopping when you get here. Enjoy your trip.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Let's talk boots in December...

"This has started such an interesting debate about the fashion statement of Uggs!"

================

Certainly from my time spent in Australia and New Zealand, Uggs were considered over-priced slippers that weren't meant to be worn outside.

But as previously stated, pretty much anything goes in London. Be confortable.

Edited: 03 November 2013, 16:46
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Let's talk boots in December...

"This has started such an interesting debate about the fashion statement of Uggs!"

================

Certainly from my time spent in Australia and New Zealand, Uggs were considered over-priced slippers that weren't meant to be worn outside.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Let's talk boots in December...

PetiteRunner, don’t worry about ‘fitting in’ in London or Paris. Like every major cosmopolitan city, you will see all sorts of people in all sorts of clothes and no one passes a blind bit of notice. Certainly nobody will take any notice of you wearing Uggs and also, they don’t sound like the standard suede Uggs, so there definitely won’t be a problem. As the others have said, slush and ice are unlikely in December though not unheard of. There were a couple of very cold winters in 2010 and 2011, but for the most part it should be fairly mild and possibly wet.

But why not wait til the week before you travel before making your final decision? The British (and Irish) are obsessed with weather and if there is likely snow or ice while you are there, you can be sure the British newspapers will be full of it (the Daily Mail in particular seems to delight in stories of traffic chaos caused by either unusually good or unusually bad weather!) If the forecast is predicting ice and snow, bring your Uggs, if not, the leather boots should be fine. Just go with whichever is most comfortable because you won’t believe how much walking you will do!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Let's talk boots in December...

Interesting indeed! But such a nice conversation now as opposed to where we were headed earlier in the thread ;)

Poollounger-Shopping! We are on the exact same page my friend!

imwmn-I believe the button makes ALL the difference (mine lace up) your post made me smile as I was brushing & spraying mine within an inch of their life the other day! They have made it through many winter trips to Chicago & NY and they are still kicking!

Happy travels everyone

46. Re: Let's talk boots in December...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 05:21