We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Novotel excel docklands

nomansland,salisbury
Level Contributor
125 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Novotel excel docklands

I have bought a stay at this hotel from eBay.....hope it's ok...reviews sound hopeful.

Is it easy to get into centre of London....ie main attractions...from here?

Also are there any restaurants near to the hotel that might be worth trying

Pat

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Novotel excel docklands

It's a standard Novotel so that usually means a good solid three star hotel.

Location not so good especially as you are coming from the other side of London (car or train?) and eating options are limited but what is done is done. You are equidistant to two DLR stations and I would go to Royal Victoria rather than Custom House especially if you are carrying luggage. Canning Town in one stop nearer central London and from there you can continue on to Tower Gateway or Bank on the DLR OR change to the Jubilee line which will get you into the west end (Westminster, Green Park) in about 25 minutes.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,611 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Novotel excel docklands

The Novotel Docklands is near the ExCel Centre and isn't far from London City Airport; Westfeld Stratford City isn't too far from the hotel.

Thereafter, I'd not say there are a great many 'main attractions' nearby. It's a hotel situated for those attending events at the ExCel not to sightsee in the capital.

The hotel is a five to seven minute walk from Royal Victoria or Custom House DLR station. There are a handful of other hotels nearby along with newbuild blocks of highrise flats for City types who want to be fairly near offices in Canary Wharf. You will need Travelcards for zones 1- 3 or use PAYG on Oyster for the journeys from and to the city centre.

With the Jubilee line at Canning Town you will have an extra choice of transport, rather than rely completely on the DLR. You may take the DLR to Bank or Tower Gateway - I prefer the latter as I dislike most changes at Bank, but others' views will vary. Alighting at Tower Gateway will mean a two minute walk to Tower Hill Underground station or a quick walk to Aldgate for any of almost 11 buses to and from the area.

What dates have you booked your stay?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Novotel excel docklands

I have stayed there twice (bidding on Priceline) and found it an excellent hotel. It is fairly easy to get to Central London and there are several ways of doing this. From Royal Victoria you can take the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) the one stop to Canning Town, from where you can take the Jubilee Line to various points in central London, or else just take it to Stratford where you can change onto the Central Line. Alternatively you can stay on the DLR which will take you to Tower Gateway or Monument.

There are a few bars and restaurants in the vicinity, and there are a couple of other hotels nearby that also have restaurants, though of course there would be more choice and it would be more exciting to eat in town.

Edited: 26 October 2013, 23:25
nomansland,salisbury
Level Contributor
125 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Novotel excel docklands

Thanks guys...we intend driving from our home in southampton and leaving car in car park of hotel.

We probably will eat in town but wondered if there are any bars to get a drink once back near the hotel.

Thank you

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Novotel excel docklands

The hotel bar is not unpleasant as I recall.

nomansland,salisbury
Level Contributor
125 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Novotel excel docklands

We are booked to stay 15th-17th November.

Appreciate any help

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,611 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Novotel excel docklands

There are planned works on some Underground lines on 16 November, but nothing that should have much (or any) impact on your sightseeing. There is a short stretch of the DLR that will be out of commission on 17 November and some of the Overground, but that shouldn't cause a problem for you either.

If you would like to try surface transport, here are the spider maps for buses to and from Aldgate and from Tower Hill; the 15 and RV1 are especially handy for the latter (the RV1 calls near London Bridge station, too). tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/aldg… and tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/towe… Stop TC and TD are just across the road from the entrance to Tower Gateway station.

8. Re: Novotel excel docklands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2014, 04:19