We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The approaching storm: How will it affect London

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
The approaching storm: How will it affect London

the previous topics where deleted but since I still think it is important information I wanted to create a topic where people could post how the upcoming storm might inform things in London

So please add if you can share any of the following:

-are there weatherwarnings in the area

-will it affect travel to/from London

-will it affect travel in London(such as will the riverboats still run

-closure of attractions(such as the Eye)

-things I forgot to mention

Hope you(iin London & elsewhere) will all be safe&sound!

London, United...
Level Contributor
677 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: The approaching storm: How will it affect London

I also had an unscheduled bus ride from Richmond to Battersea. Only saw a few branches that had fallen off trees but nothing major.

According to Twitter Southwest Trains are slowly reintroducing trains on some routes that have been cleared of obstructions so maybe I won't have to take the bus home as well.

42. Re: The approaching storm: How will it affect London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 October 2013, 12:19
Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: The approaching storm: How will it affect London

I think the majority of it has now left the UK? Because I hear reports that people are advised not to go outside in Amsterdam and two people have died due to falling trees, plus a ferry from Newcastle to IJmuiden was unable to get into port so those poor passengers are on the open sea again.

Hope the damage over there isn't too bad!

44. Re: The approaching storm: How will it affect London

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 October 2013, 14:54
London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: The approaching storm: How will it affect London

Kingston area - some noise from wind around 8.00, but other than some extra leaves and twigs on the ground , no obvious signs of any effect. Rain didn't seem particularly hard, and it is now breezy with intermittant bright sun and some clouds, and people are out shopping as normal. . Certainly far less sign of a big storm than previous ones

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: The approaching storm: How will it affect London

Amos I disagree. Taking my country as an example there was a red weather alert for the south, west and north and the national train already made changes to the timetable. This meant that people where alerted to the fact that there might be disruptions and if they really needed to be somewhere leave earlier.

In my opinion it's always best to be prepared, and if it doesn't affect you in the end then that is a good thing.

Stay safe everyone :)

47. Re: The approaching storm: How will it affect London

Removed on: 28 October 2013, 14:54
Edited: 28 October 2013, 14:54
48. Re: The approaching storm: How will it affect London

Removed on: 28 October 2013, 13:35
Boston...
Level Contributor
395 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: The approaching storm: How will it affect London

I got this email from BA if it is helpful to anyone:

: UK Storm - Customer Guidelines - 28 Oct 13

Key Messages

A severe storm has passed over the southern region of the UK this morning, Monday 28 October 2013, affecting flights into London airports and disrupting surface transport.

The latest information is as follows

• Winds and rain have now passed from London area

• Operation at LHR is already reduced after flights were cancelled yesterday

• Some short haul flights were cancelled this morning, plus BA007/008 London Heathrow (LHR) - Haneda (HND). Customers have been re-accommodated

• London Heathrow has reduced flow rate and is not accepting transfer customers up to midday due to congestion at the airport and flights heavily booked

• London Gatwick is operating

• London City had early cancellations but now operating

To assist our customer the following guidelines are available.

Advice for BA 125 ticketed customers on BA, AA, IB or AY OPERATING flights to or from the destinations listed below

Airports Affected All London airports

Tickets issued by 27 October 2013

Ticket Travel dates Passengers due to arrive, transit or depart on Monday 28 October 2013

Rebooking allowance 1 Rebook onto an alternative BA, AA, IB or AY flight from 28 October upto and including 11 November 2013 If the same class is not available then the lowest class in the same cabin may be booked

Rebooking allowance 2 Rebook onto an alternative BA, AA, IB or AY flight from 12 November 2013 onwards The same class in cabin must be booked Travel within one year of ticket issue

Origin/Destination/Stopover changes No

Refunds Allowed No

Notes one involuntary ticket change allowed

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,961 posts
1 review
Save Reply
50. Re: The approaching storm: How will it affect London

I'm glad you all seem fine. I'm glad you opened the thread. Although I'm not traveling to London at the moment (am going to Wisconsin though) I read it several times because I was curious about how things were going on the real-person level and seeing what kind of transport issued you were having.