We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation on best Hilton/Doubeltree

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation on best Hilton/Doubeltree

We will be traveling to London in mid-November and trying to finalize our hotel. We will be staying on points so need to stay at a Hilton or Doubletree.

Most important thing to us is LOCATION and short walking distance to Tube stops. Would also like to stay in an area that is good to walk around at night with lots of restaurants, etc. nearby. (We stayed in the Latin Quarter/St. Germain district in Paris and liked it very much. I know Paris and London aren't apples to apples, but would like to find a similar area of town if possible.)

We have narrowed down to the following locations, but continue to see mixed reviews so looking for advice on which location to book.

Doubletree Westminster (leaning towards this location, but having a hard time determining how convenient the Tube stops are here)

Hilton Hyde Park

Doubletree Marble Arch

Doubletree Victoria

Hilton Kensington

If you recommend a Hilton/Doubletree I haven't listed here, please let me know! Open to any suggestions or advice! Thanks in advance!

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
213 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation on best Hilton/Doubeltree

The Westminster is a bit of a walk to the tube and not that many place to eat at night as there are a lot of offices in that area. I would tend to go for the Trafalgar so that you can walk up to the Haymarket, Leicester Sq or the Strand. The Marble Arch or The Westend though not a lot happening at night in Southampton Row. Not stayed in 2 of these but would probably go more on location so The Trafalgar. Stayed in the Metropole up by Marble Arch but not impressed. Trouble I find with Hiltons is their inconsistency, have stayed in some dumps and some really good ones

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,488 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation on best Hilton/Doubeltree

There's a Doubletree on 92 Southampton Row which I think is advertised as Doubletree West End or Doubletree Bloomsbury. I've not checked to see what its TA reviews are like but the location is good - it's a couple of hundred yards from the British Museum and the Bloomsbury area of London will appeal to someone who likes the 6th arrondissement in Paris.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,835 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation on best Hilton/Doubeltree

The Waldorf is part of the Hilton group but I wonder if you need to spend more points in order to stay there. Great central location not far from Covent Garden but against that some reviewers on TA have been less than impressed. The Trafalgar mentioned in reply #1 is also well worth considering but again I wonder about points.

The Doubletree West End that Beauchamp mentions used to be the Bonnington and would be a good choice from a location point of view.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation on best Hilton/Doubeltree

I have stayed last year at the Doubletree West End. It would not be my choice to stay on points. The room I had was tiny (and I'm comparing that to NYC size standards). The gold breakfast (at the lounge) was very very standard. The location is good (though not great) but there are so many other choices in London I'll take on points.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
982 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendation on best Hilton/Doubeltree

Have you considered the Hilton Tower Bridge? Very comfortable modern rooms, lots of places to eat nearby, very short walk to London Bridge tube and useful buses just outside. I've stayed there numerous times and would very happily return.

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendation on best Hilton/Doubeltree

I stayed two weeks ago at the Doubletree Hyde Park, 1 block from the Hilton Hyde Park. Having stayed at both hotels, I prefer the Doubletree. I put a review on TA, which you may want to read.

The Bayswater area is close to three Tube stops. There are not many high end dining spots in the area, but there are numerous ethnic restaurants close by. I had a great meal at The Champion pub about one block away.

It's not my ideal vacation area, but not bad either. If you can use points, I would say to do it

I love being right on Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens!

Gulfport, MS
Level Contributor
147 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendation on best Hilton/Doubeltree

We recently stayed at the Doubletree Victoria. The location was perfect for all transportation. Victoria Station is just across the street, and Victoria Coach Station is just a couple of blocks away. There are numerous restaurants all around and in Victoria Station, as well as Victoria Place. It was an excellent location for taking tours or catching the HOHO bus. They were almost complete with total renovation of the hotel. Our room on the seventh floor was very stylish and quite comfortable. They provide a nice coffee and tea service in the room. A free full breakfast and wifi are included if you are Hilton Gold members. It was also walking distance to Buckingham Place, St. James Park, Westminster Abbey, House of Parliament and other attractions. We could not have asked for more!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendation on best Hilton/Doubeltree

We stayed at the doubletree Marble Arch last year and the location just off oxford street was ideal, the rooms are quite small but this didn't bother us as we spend very little time in the room but if this is important to you then I would look at one of the traditional Hiltons as I think the room size in all the doubletrees is more or less the same.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendation on best Hilton/Doubeltree

The DouibleTree Tower of London is the showcase Hilton DoubleTree hotel where Hilton send press and media to get good reviews and press coverage.

The show stopper unique selling point is the outdoor rooftop bar restaurant with stupendous views

Tower Hill Underground is about 200 yards away

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendation on best Hilton/Doubeltree

Really? You come the whole way to england to stay in possibly the most boring chain of hotels in the world?