We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harry Potter Studio Tour & London advice please

Wales
Level Contributor
441 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Harry Potter Studio Tour & London advice please

Hi All

Am going to book a tour at the HP Studios for either the 2nd or 3rd of January as a Christmas present. Will also stay overnight and be driving up from South Wales. For ease and cost thought it would be better to stay somewhere around the studio's so I can drive there easily enough and then either drive or get the train into London (depending on cost) the previous or following day to have a few hours there shopping etc.

Please could someone advise on if this is ok or if an alternative plan would be better? If it's good to stay close by what are the acommodation options and would I be better to drive or train into London? If train from which station is closest?

Many Thanks for any advice in advance.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harry Potter Studio Tour & London advice please

The studios are a few miles from watford junction station. From memory there's not a great deal round watford junction station so not sure I'd stay there. Driving will be crazy from a cost point of view.

Maybe look at stayind round Euston station which will give you easy access to oxford street, regent street etc and fast trains to watford junction for harry potter studios.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harry Potter Studio Tour & London advice please

Adam lives in Watford so he can probably give you the best advise.

I myself stayed in London and made the trip via train&bus from Watford.

Just book soon, everything is available for your dates now it seems but since it's the holidays tickets might go fast

london
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harry Potter Studio Tour & London advice please

if you're driving up then you need somewhere with car parking, which is going to be difficult (if not impossible) in central London so staying somewhere on the outskirts near to a station is the obvious way to go ...there's a Holiday Inn Express in Watford which says it's only a short walk to Watford Junction station which has fast trains into London, but there are many other hotels in Watford

it's easy enough to get to the HP Studio Tour, it's just off the M25 so any hotel near to a train station around the northern section of the M25 is going to be convenient (eg Rickmansworth, Chorleywood)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Harry Potter Studio Tour & London advice please

You could try the Holiday Inn Express Watford Junction.

This is close to Watford Junction station, so convenient for the shuttle bus to the Harry Potter Tour if you don't want to drive there. The hotel has free overnight parking, or you can buy an all day permit for £4.

Watford Junction has frequent trains to London (Euston)

Wales
Level Contributor
441 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harry Potter Studio Tour & London advice please

Thanks for the suggestions. I just figured it would be more convenient to drive upto the studio's as they've got parking available and not on any time restrictions and staying outside of London would be cheaper and easy just to travel into the city for the day by train, don't want to drive in.

Don't really have to stay too close to the studios but somewhere in the outer London area thats cheaper than the city but has places around to get some breakfast/dinner would be good.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harry Potter Studio Tour & London advice please

Watford is not a very exciting place to stay so I wouldn't pick anywhere there. Unless you live in west Pembs, you could probably drive from home to the studios in 2-3 hours, so I would aim to drive straight there and book into your hotel afterwards. HP Studios has a secure car park so I would have no worries leaving a car full of luggage there.

Afterwards, why not try St.Albans - pretty market town with own sights (Abbey, Roman amphitheatre and museum, Fishpool Street) nice pubs and restaurants, fast train line to London (takes about 20 minutes). For hotels I would pick either the White Hart or the ClarionCollections (formerly Comfort) hotel, which are centrally-located and about 10 mins walk from the train station.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,741 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Harry Potter Studio Tour & London advice please

Much as it pains me to say it, St Albans is a nicer town that Watford and those central hotels such as the aforementioned Holiday Inn Express and the nearby Jurys have only limited parking.

Ultimately the choice does depend on budget and if you want stay in a town or outside. If you just want somewhere to rest your head and are then happy to walk to a station and take the train to London then there are a couple of Premier Inn's on the edge of Watford that might suit and the Thistle Noke just outside St Albans and very close to the studios is also worth considering.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 17:23
Wales
Level Contributor
441 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Harry Potter Studio Tour & London advice please

Not really too concerned as long as it's clean and safe. Don't plan on spending any significant amount of time at the hotel,just to sleep & shower so cheap an cheerful would be ideal. I've absolutely no idea of the area so haven't got a clue what or where to search for accommodation wise, anywhere near-ish to the studios/London say within about 30/40 min drive would be fine.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,741 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Harry Potter Studio Tour & London advice please

A budget figure might help but for now I will suggest the Premier Inn Croxley Green. It's actually in West Watford and it isn't the nearest PI to the studios but it's a decent PI with friendly staff and free parking. Ten minutes drive from the M25 and 10-20 from the studio depending on traffic. It's also a ten minute walk from Watford Metropolitan line tube station so you could be in central London within an hour.

The alternative would be the HIE mentioned above but I think parking is limited and although the train from Watford Junction would get you to Euston in 20 minutes, it's a more expensive journey than on the tube.

Wales
Level Contributor
441 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Harry Potter Studio Tour & London advice please

I'd say up to £60 but would rather it cheaper if I can get it for less.