We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London in December

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
7 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
London in December

Hi All,

Can anyone please confirm what the typical weather is in London in December. I'm not sure if it will be too cold to spend Christmas and New Years in London during the winter.

Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,364 Reviews
from US$130.60*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,131 Reviews
from US$139.30*
US$154.70
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
519 Reviews
from US$117.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
478 Reviews
from US$347.80*
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
1,202 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London in December

My mother always says there is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing! If you are appropriately dressed you will have no problems. Some days will be clear and cold, others milder but wet. The weather forecast is only just about correct a few days in advance, but you can look at long range forecasts and previous statistics for a rough idea.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,407 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London in December

As for every month of the year, weather is unpredictable. Millions of people spend the whole winter in London, so it definitely isn't too cold for human habitation. A quick look at average conditions shows less rain than Venice, and temperatures only a degree or so cooler.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,130 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London in December

8 million people manage to spend winter in London, so it isn't too cold. You just need to bring a few clothes.

The average is probably about 5 degrees. It may be warmer than this .. or colder...

www.holiday-weather.com/london/averages/

The temperature may well drop below freezing at night. It's unlikely to remain below freezing during the day (unless we have a cold spell).

It may rain. It may be sunny. It might snow, but more likely not.

The sun sets about 4pm - it gets dark quite early.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London in December

I live just south of London. It is quite unpredictable weather during that time. It isn't that cold but if u live near the north of America I would take a few layers.

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London in December

Difficult to say but it will be cold generally 5oC and below, and wet probably 2 days a week. We have had snow in December in the past few years.

Please be aware if you come for Christmas that the UK is pretty much closed Christmas day. No public transport, some restaurants will be open for an expensive lunch, very much fewer open for dinner. December 26th has limited public transport but many shops and restaurants are open.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London in December

I'm not sure what you mean by "too cold"? Put a coat on. Plenty of countries get far colder than it does here.

>>I live just south of London. It is quite unpredictable weather during that time. It isn't that cold but if u live near the north of America I would take a few layers.<<

Where does America come in to it? Their profile says that they are from Italy.

Edited: 02 November 2013, 17:51
Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
3,130 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London in December

And I see the December average in London is very close to that of Venice.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London in December

Have been to Venice in winter and it is freezing with sharp winds that blow through every fibre of your being, so if you are from Venice you should expect the same kind of temperatures you get over there in London in December, most of northern Europe is cold in the winter, and London is no colder than the rest.

Simples.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London in December

The winter in London isn't as cold as it should be, given its latitude. The Gulf Stream keeps things relatively mild.

Edited: 02 November 2013, 18:22
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London in December

If you are looking for warmer climes in which to spend Xmas and New Year you would be wise to avoid Europe altogether and go instead to north Africa, indeed Sharm El Sheikh is pretty warm throughout winter, or try the southern hemisphere.

Mentioned in this post
Sharm El Sheikh
Sharm El Sheikh
South Sinai, Egypt