We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi rip off!

Doncaster, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Taxi rip off!

Hi

Was in London yesterday, 03/10/2013, with my 11 year old son and got in to a licensed taxi at Piccadilly Circus to go to the London Dungeons. After driving around for a while I realised we were going away from the London Eye, where i understood the attraction was. I questioned the , local, driver and he assured me we were going to where the dungeons had been for 20 years and dismissed the London Eye! Eventually we arrived at London Bridge which has its own attraction, when i queried this the driver pointed to the other side of the road and saying "thats it". I could see a ticket office and a big banner with an add for the dungeons above the door way. I suspiciously paid and went to the ticket office only to discover that it was just that a ticket office at the site where the dungeons used to be!

Obviously i was furious at this blatant rip off and fraud as far as i am concerned. I managed to get a picture of the license plate of the taxi pulling away, unfortunately not the taxi firms phone number. My question is can i trace this anywhere so i can complain? Not really that bothered by the £16.00, but very upset at being taken for a mug and want to follow this up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tower Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Observation Decks & Towers
Millennium Bridge
Scenic Walking Areas, Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Taxi rip off!

But the dungeons are one of the big tourist attraction so surprised that the driver wouldn't know it moved months ago

===========

Passage of time doesn't have much to do with it, if he didn't see that it moved its quite possible he's been delivering passengers there for months, as I said and as you probably saw there is a honking great sign there at LB which certainly makes it look as if its still there, why woudl he think it isn't?

He could have dropped hundreds of passengers off wrongly, but he's not getting any feedback is he as he's collected his money and driven off.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,233 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Taxi rip off!

I have no doubt that the vast majority of taxi drivers are aware that the London DungeonLondon Dungeon moved some months ago. If they were not aware then they should have been. It's not as if it moved yesterday.

I would indeed contact TFL.

Joe,

That is unlikely to be the case. Taxi drivers, along with others in the tourist trade, get regular updates through trade organisations and other bodies regarding things like this. Cabbies do also talk to each other.

Edited: 04 November 2013, 15:18
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Taxi rip off!

Joe,

That is unlikely to be the case

=======

Hi Adam, what is unlikely to be the case? Since he delivered one passenger wrongly then why not many?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Taxi rip off!

Not if the driver works evenings like me and was just out on a Sunday afternoon for some extra.i can't remember the last time I was asked for the dungeons. Adam we are not sent any updates from TFL, it was probably printed in the trade paper, but I certainly didn't read anything about it.

Edited: 04 November 2013, 15:43
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,233 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Taxi rip off!

Joe,

I understand what you are saying but the odds are against it although Hobnob's comments also make sense. I would still bet that 9 out of 10 taxi drivers know the Dungeon has moved.

I feel an experiment coming on!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Taxi rip off!

So far 100% of taxi drivers* interviewed are unaware of the move. Yep, next time I'm in a black cab I'll also ask. Keep us posted I think you'll have more chance than me.

*the Merc driver and Hobnob :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Taxi rip off!

Right, just pulled onto the Euston rank and asked 8 cab drivers if they knew......

London bridge.....3

Southbank...........5

Didn't ask what shifts they do but I'm guessing the ones that got it correct were day drivers, you get a mixture at this time with the evening rush starting. Also a lot of drivers on twitter (I'm not) which will be more informed about any changes.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,977 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Taxi rip off!

London taxi drivers are supposed to be better than those in other cities because they have to do 'The Knowledge'.

It would be a pity if their Knowledge was frozen at the time they first gained a licence!

Hopefully a complaint will at least ensure that driver doesn't make the same mistake again.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,233 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Taxi rip off!

90 out of a 100?!

Not in London much this week. May have a chance to ask Heathrow cabbies at the weekend.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Taxi rip off!

Heathrow drivers won't have a clue, they still think Piccadilly cirus is a roundabout!