We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mums 60th birthday- where to eat, what to do

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newark
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
mums 60th birthday- where to eat, what to do

Hi,my mum and I are coming to London for the day in December to watch the afternoon performance of War Horse. Can anyone recommend somewhere special but not overly expensive for an early evening meal? Also, any ideas for the morning? I thought ice skating at Somerset House? We have done all major tourists spots and I fancied something a bit different. Mum isn't one for museums particularly or shopping, especially in a busy Christmas period. Any help appreciated x

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mums 60th birthday- where to eat, what to do

You could walk up to Brasserie Zedel for a meal, and perhaps a cocktail in their American Bar. Lovely surroundings.

http://www.brasseriezedel.com/brasserie-zedel

Edited: 04 November 2013, 12:55
London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: mums 60th birthday- where to eat, what to do

Brasserie Zedel was going to be my suggestion!

Nearer to the venue I really rate http://www.operatavern.co.uk/ which is Tapas (but good tapas!).

Morning suggestions: River cruise or go up the Shard.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,024 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mums 60th birthday- where to eat, what to do

Lots of pre theatre meals would suit. Try Clos Maggiore. Lovely place and pre theatre is excellent value. One tip, when booking wherever it is, tell them it is her 60 th.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
107 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mums 60th birthday- where to eat, what to do

I recommend heading for Covent Garden or Seven Dials. There are plenty of eateries to choose from in the area, and it is walking distance to Drury Lane (if you are going to the New London Theatre).

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186338-…

You could have a theatrical pre-theatre dinner at Salieri's in the Strand, and then walk up Drury Lane:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-…

Alternatively, if you like opera, you could book Sarastro on Drury Lane. I haven't been for years though, so check the reviews here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-…

Wherever you choose to go, I recommend booking a table in advance.

Ice skating at Somerset House is a good idea. Haven't been for years! Then you can stroll up to Covent Garden, or take a boat trip out to Greenwich, and return via the DLR and Canary Wharf.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d5…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d1…

Happy birthday to your mum, when it comes, from the TripAdvisor forum!

Have fun!

Newark
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mums 60th birthday- where to eat, what to do

Thank you :)

6. Re: mums 60th birthday- where to eat, what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 05:17